Push assist/Endless mode, let's talk about it!

Onewheels don’t use pressure to accelerate/decelerate though, that’s all in the COG. The leaning action is what makes it stable/possible.

This is precisely what I was saying would not be the case. My opinions have been reinforced by the reviews of the weight sensing boards that a few people tried to ride.

With the whole board acting as a weight sensor if you hit a bump or lost your balance the board would accelerate which sounds scary.

6 Likes

I love the idea of the endless mode, but I reckon it should also contain some sort of cut-off sensor that detects a sudden strong counterforce, like the rider attempting to brake manually with his foot? or it has hit a wall or impassable obstacle.

That’s why I suggested to have a slight delay. Did you read my post?

Yeah, but they both use body position as control.

1 Like

The problems I see:

1. when breaking hard, your body will naturally put pressure on the front of the board to not fall off. When accelerating hard, your body will naturally put pressure on the back of the board. But unfortunately you can’t switch the sensors, because then you get a feedback loop where slightly breaking will cause your board to slow down, causing you to put even more pressure on, and break even more. So in one scenario you can’t do these actions fast enough, in the other you will get thrown off.
  2. 0.5 seconds is both too long of a reaction time for breaking in an emergency, and yet too short for dealing with super bumpy roads. I think it’s definitely too short for combining it with the smart push mode you described
  3. Braille skateboarding and others have tried electric skateboards that are weight controlled like this, and they deemed them dangerous. Ofc I’m not saying we couldn’t do better, but it does show this isn’t easy to get right.
7 Likes

Pressure pads just aren’t the way to go. I tried a zboard 2 pearl in NYC once and while the deck and trucks were nice, the pads ruined the experience.

2 Likes

Totally agree!

I see that as a challenge too, but not a problem.
Having front pressure decelerate is dangerous. Agreed. But having rear pressure decelerate, should be fine, if you decelerate too much, your body weight moves forward, easing the braking. So you are in control by forcefully shifting your body backwards.

It would have to be more intelligent than just a delay. I meant 0.5s if continued pressure. Bumpy roads would just cause shorter spikes. Think of a smoothing algorithm.

Yeah, You are right, this mode would need its own algorithm. It could be separately activated.

I agree. That’s why I suggest putting the pressure sensors into truck risers. And obviously not just have binary sensors, but decent pressure measurements.

@Sn4Pz, what was the main issue?

2 Likes

This whole weight sensor thing feels like a solution in search of a problem. I see no downsides to using a remote.

13 Likes

It sure is a first world problem. There’s nothing wrong with a good remote, apart from signal drops or accidental acceleration or braking.

But it would feel fantastic to control it just with your body and have your hands free.

2 Likes

Well the problem is in the netherlands, its illegal here because it drives itself. It is legal if you make it like mellows endless mode since it only supports you thats why electric supported bikes are legal here (very long story, im not even sure if it works like this but i was told so).

3 Likes

This isn’t the most coherent thing I’ve written, but I think it makes enough sense.

And that right there is the long and short of it lol.

People don’t skimp on the breaks or other important mechanisms/ bits of their car, and the fact that people bargain hunt for a remote boggles my mind.

If people seriously want a bulletproof remote that is ‘guaranteed’ to function, they should be willing to drop some cash to get the performance they desire. I get the OSRR isn’t ready for sale, and that the price tag (similar to other high end remotes) is ‘unappealing’ but it’s a necessary purchase, imo.

The main issues with sensor pads

random thoughts I can't be bothered to organize

(on the board or in the trucks, it’s basically the same thing. I would argue that the riser pads would be even more inaccurate due to the forces from the trucks and ground vs what I imagine to be less force via the rider and deck. )

Is the lack of control, just like everyone else says. I couldn’t get comfortable on it, acceleration and braking felt very cumbersome, especially with the varying levels of pressure I needed to apply to actually stop and go.

I guess I see what you mean, but you probably have more control with your body when you use the remote, because you won’t have to hold your body a specific way :man_shrugging:t2:

How about you take osrr internals, and wire the thumb wheel to a comfortable position on a glove or something similar? It’s basically the gloves approach, but with high end ‘proven’ internals

3 Likes

@lox897

1 Like

Thanks for the tag, but any reason why other than you want me to know that this thread exists? Hehe

EDIT: I’ve got one board left after I sell all my spare parts and I’m making glove control for it next year as a school project, so I might consider adding this as well.

6 Likes

We were very interested in your setup, considering it was made a few years ago it is still better than anything we have now.

3 Likes

I think you’ve mistaken me for LowGuido. LowGuido is a Canberra man, I’m in Melbourne

6 Likes

:joy: ok nevermind

3 Likes

:rofl:

9 Likes

Fair enough.

I feel like it is possible but not easy to get it right.
But it seems there is no community interest in it, so it is likely not worth developing.

I’ll just pony up for a better remote ^^

1 Like

Every time this topic gets brought up people want to complicate it with pressure sensors or some sort of intuitive lean angle witchcraft. A simple button under your foot on the deck was all I ever used and it worked. KISS. There was no need for failsafe because if you came off you weren’t pressing the button any more. There was no need for brake sensors because if you foot or tail drag you werent pressing the button any more. Added side effects were that it forced you to learn to skate.

15 Likes

linny it worked though :wink:

5 Likes

Your implementation indeed is a good example of KISS and works wonderfully for push assist.

What I was envisioning was to completely eliminate the remote on an esk8, not just push assist.
Yes, it is super hard to implement, call it complicated to do.
However, if done right, it would be super simple and intuitive from a user perspective, call it design thinking.

2 Likes