Push assist/Endless mode, let's talk about it!

Maybe the sensing code could detect what force of resistance is being applied? As for quick brake, I was seeing people talking about a foot sensor. Maybe a change in stance could cause a code to put on an active brake? In example, bringing your foot to a specific spot on the board/sensor changes the code from “cruising” to “traffic stop”?

Maybe, but a more heavier person will have a different current spike than a light person. Some algorithm could probably do this though.

1 Like

Yes please. Sorry if I made it seem that I wanted this built into an existing remote.

It would just be an erpm max lock while button is held. Not even sure if a brake is necessary if it’s just push speed.

3 Likes

What about a remote that is basically just a force sensor that could control brakes. It could be really small, and you could push to gain speed.

1 Like

I haven’t made any changes to that design, I really didnt see the need for it. keep it simple. it worked with my only gripe being that I wanted to go faster than I could physically push :smiley:
as long as you could start on a hill you were alright LOL.

5 Likes

Endless mode would be a lot of fun. When I was a kid I had some toy cars that you would rev up and let go. Then they’d go flying across the linoleum and under the refrigerator with the dust, a piece of dried up bologna and some milk-bone fragments. These weren’t electric, but I wonder if the principal could be applied to an electric board. A kick amplifier.

A stealth remote would also be really nice. After all, 40% of our motor cortex is dedicated to our hands, and our thumbs have a disproportionately large part of that. Coincidentally our tongue uses about the same amount of our brain as our thumbs… do what you want with that last factoid, but maybe get your flu shot first.

A remote could be made as small AF… small enough to keister if it were necessary. No oled. No external lights. Vibration would be used to alert of a low remote battery. It would need firmware for your PC/Mac so that DIYers could plug the remote in to adjust any settings that might be necessary like calibration… or maybe not. This type of remote isn’t a pipedream at all.

9 Likes

pressure sensors integrated into the deck

1 Like

Ye, some companies are still trying to sell the no controller esk8 experience. I remember https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/benf/the-zboard-the-weight-sensing-electric-skateboard
The ZBoard

One of the first electric Skateboards I ever heard of.

2 Likes

Remote integrated into a glove sounds pretty good. You could modify a heated glove with room for wires to have a contact in each finger tip and have 4 buttons by connecting one of the fingers to the thumb. Maybe 1. Accelerate slow 2. Accelerate fast 3. Break slow 4. Break fast. To not get abrupt acceleration and breaks you could smooth out the control input with a micro controller.

No remote sounds very dangerous to me.

2 Likes

JayKay ring remote?

2 Likes

Outside of using this to avoid cops where eskate is illegal, this sounds like nostalgia mode to me. Remember when we used to push our skateboards? After a ride in endless mode you can go home and slap some vinyl on your turntable and pick up your rotary phone and call your buddy.

7 Likes

Why not have weight sensing riser pads and then use lean-forward to accelerate and lean back to brake?

Could work like this:
if 40-60% of weight on front, set to cruise control (keep speed)
60-90% of weight on front, linear (or exponential) acceleration.
60-90% of weight on back, linear (or exponential) deceleration.

for both acceleration and deceleration, only apply if pressure sustained for 0.5 seconds (to avoid false inputs due to bumps)

if combined pressure below some threshold (e.g. half of rider weight) for 1 second, dead man trigger, increasingly apply brakes to full stop.

This could be extended to a push mode, where the board senses a push (low pressure + acceleration force) and allows for the acceleration (push) and then keeps the speed, similar to Mellow. With some adjustments to the weight distribution band for acc/dec, you could even have a hybrid mode where you can push or not, as you feel like.

1 Like

With weight sensing, you have the issue of needing your weight to steer/stay on the board.

Adding anything more than simple buttons for lights or something to the deck, isn’t a good idea I think.

3 Likes

What do you guys think of this idea? Apologies for cross linking but it seemed less Neanderthal than a blatant copy paste. Didn’t get much feedback on the other thread…

3 Likes

Yeah combine your coast and cruise control idea with a foot pedal that puts a powered wheel to the ground.

So you have an encoder on the non powered wheels, reads your speed. Push up to whatever speed, press the pedal. It moves an arms that engages the powered wheel with the ground and it spins to the speed measured by the encoder on the unpowered wheel.

1 Like

Exactly. My biggest issue is the fear of control with a foot pedal because of how crucial footing is to riding. I’ve shamefully tried a few onewheels and find their pressure pads iffy. Even the owners have problems.

Well they bought OWs so clearly

5 Likes

Yeah my V1 only has 1 footpad so it can be… problematic u rite.

Trying to stand on the lever while doing anything besides going straight does seem like a challenge

I am not sure what issue you are referring to.

1 Like

Theoretically it could work, I just think it’s an unreliable way to gauge what the rider actually wants to do.

It works on the onewheels. There you also need to balance. But with 4 wheels it should actually be easier. I think it might actually be beneficial, as you always have to have the right body position to accelerate/ brake.

1 Like