Pulled over today(USA, CA)

We talked about this a while back.
ANother take away is the being drunk policy.
same as cars
not sure if you can get a DUI and such but being drunk on the board is illegal one way or another

3 Likes

Hmm. Strange for Santa Rosa and being a CHP that stopped you.
Used to live in SR. Now in Marin.

4 Likes

Most CHP stay on freeway hiding behind bushes/ bridges trying to bust ppl… I am not surprised if they don’t know the laws, not a lot of ppl take their boards on freeway…

Ab604 is the way. Had a similar experience with local police, pretty satisfied after educated them about ab604 lol.

11 Likes

Really wishing I knew it by memory would have made things easier. I’m hoping the officer contacts me like he said he would. But if he finds out he’s wrong I bet he won’t.

I was going over a freeway overpass and he said it’s considered a highway. There’s a bike line all the way acrossed it though.

3 Likes

This is when you’re supposed to show off your board’s max speed /s

5 Likes

As long as it’s either a class 2 or class 4 bike lane, you are good I think

2 Likes

Were you in Aliso Viejo?

Nvm. Yeah idk, cops keep going back and forth. I just get on the sidewalk for a bit until I get to another city.

1 Like

I now carry few screenshots of California’s vehicle code in my esk8 pack stating that esk8 in California are required to ride in the bike lane. I talked to another cop and he said that the AB bill does not apply because it is just a bill.

1 Like

The bill also states:

• Your board must not be able to travel more than 20 mph
  • Your board must have an average power of 1000 watts or fewer
  • You cannot ride on public property at more than 15 mph

Most of our boards does not fall into these categories, which means:

If your electric skateboard does not fit all of these criteria, it falls under the old 1970s law defining “motorized skateboards,” and therefore is not legal to ride.

So even boards like boosted/evolve will lose in court if challenged to the exact wording of the law. So I just choose to just ride it on the sidewalk (for some reason this is the go-to) when a cop has beef with it.

1 Like

To be more specific: The exact criteria is:

#313.5.

An “electrically motorized board” is any wheeled device that has a floorboard designed to be stood upon when riding that is not greater than 60 inches deep and 18 inches wide, is designed to transport only one person, and has an electric propulsion system averaging less than 1,000 watts, the maximum speed of which, when powered solely by a propulsion system on a paved level surface, is no more than 20 miles per hour. The device may be designed to also be powered by human propulsion.

There is an argument that the board could have a digital power limiting system (speed settings) that restricts the board to match those criteria while on public roads, but I ain’t got time or money for dem legal battles, plus probably have to be able to prove it and bring in “experts” and shit.

3 Likes

Well that’s some bullshit. And right next door too. I live in Rohnert Park, and haven’t ever had a problem, but then again I ride mostly recreational around my neighborhood and actively avoid busy streets, if possible, cause I don’t trust people in cars. I don’t get what that cop was thinking stopping you without actually knowing what law you might be breaking. What a tool.

3 Likes

I was passing cars going up hill and I think that’s what set him off. I could argue that its electrically limited to under 1000W(its not but who TF really knows that). At the end of the day, I didnt get a ticket or anything so what can i really say? :stuck_out_tongue:

I wish i had it on video cause there were so many gems from this encounter. I had to hold my tounge hard.

“Whats the difference between that thing and those one wheel?”
what i wanted to say: well, 3 fuckin wheels. Want me to call this a 4wheel?

“You can’t ride that in the street(i wasn’t, i was in the bike lane…) it doesnt have lights or turn signals or anything!”
what i wanted to say: neither do bikes dude, thats why im in the bike lane…

him:"“You cant ride this here, this overpass is a highway!”
What I actually did say: “you’re standing on the words bike line as we speak…”
him: “Well, you went around that corner fast…”
meanwhile he blocked a turn lane AND a regular lane with his lights on for over 30 minutes creating an obviously dangerous situation.

I just basically told him that I didn’t want to argue and he’s the cop so if he wants to give me a ticket do it and ill just argue it in court I don’t want any trouble…He eventually just said he doesn’t know what to charge me with and let me go. Tried to not let it bother me the rest of the day(difficult…), but IMO no harm no foul, I guess I only really lost 30 minutes of my time.

I asked if I cold give him my info so he can call me and let me know what he finds so I can follow the law properly. His response was: “I am in this area a lot so i’ll let you know”. aka, ill harass you again if i see you. Time will tell i guess…I’ve been riding in this area for 4 years and he says he never saw me before(literally half the town has seen me im sure so idk what his deal was).

7 Likes

Sounds like he was bored and wanted to show off some authority…

4 Likes

Omg, you literally got trolled by a cop for crossing over his bridge! :rofl: He was just out on on patroll , patrolling the highways (and highway overpasses :roll_eyes:) like a good highway patroll man. He probably couldn’t even see you when you were riding in the “city”, which ain’t his jurisdiction, but as soon as you crossed his bridge, he jumps out of the bushes to harass you…like a troll. See what I’m getting at? :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :rofl:

I think he was a wizard. :thinking:

10 Likes

Don’t try to come through West Hollywood. They’ll look up your boards specs online or parts if it’s built.

To be faaaaaair, if he’s been posting here it’s possible he’s on an FBI watchlist because of all of our murder and gang activities.

5 Likes

Ah yes, all the murder boards and dickasaurus gang activity. You’ve got my attention. :face_with_monocle:

3 Likes

sk8gang sk8gang sk8gang

5 Likes

dude we made @BenjaminF kill a OneWheeler the other night to patch in.

Drive by tridenting.

5 Likes

About that. When am I allowed to wash the blood off my hands and penis?

3 Likes