Public chat - talk about everything with everyone

Totally. I’ve done it, it sucks.

My last 3 boards have had both, and any vehicle I build in the future will likely have both.

8 Likes

Is there one for 16s?

ignore the voltage, the only thing that changes is RPM, and that is all dependent on the bearings anyway. The rated and max torque values don’t change with voltage.

2 Likes

Was just curious… my 16s 173kv setup seems to run a hell of a lot hotter than my 12s 205 at the same current. I guess its just the watts. Well the ESC ran hot motors cool at 12s and now the motors are hot ESC cool at 16s.

1 Like

Damn that’s a feature I really wish metr had.

shouldn’t be that big of a difference. the top end motor rpm on both is like 10k and 11k or something like that.

1 Like

Yeah I was surprised… but motors definitely run a lot hotter on the 16s. My 12s setup I didn’t have to touch the thermal slowdowns whereas I was hitting them very quickly on the 16s just cruising.

Both using a d75, same wheels and tyres and geared to a similar top speed.

1 Like

At the same current, a 173Kv motor will run hotter than a similarly-sized 205Kv motor.

3 Likes

Do we have any info on how much amp difference is required for this to no longer be true? Going from 170 to 205kv soon and planning to up the amps.

1 Like

According to that new @Shadowfax calculator, at the same motor amps (90), 205kv has less torque but higher top end than 170kv. (6384 v 6485, although calc doesn’t take size into account [does that even make a difference?])

If I up the amps to 105 on the 205kv setup, torque is basically identical to the previous 170kv along with a higher top speed…

not really, although this debate is as old as time

2 Likes

Bigger motors create less heat per current than smaller motors.

Although this is also debatable, if you get too big, there become other losses that overtake the gains…

1 Like

Thought this was 56s for a minute and was very confused about what sort of insane build you were planning :rofl:

Also, fuck, on my board upgrade I might end up actually having to turn my board off manually :weary:
The 2nd board should be safe? So long as the features listed for my Focbox are accurate and the auto off option works. I just bought it since it was a known working VESC with some use on it already.

I didn’t even realize that the feature might not be standard for VESCs like it has been on my cheap LingYi ESCs :person_facepalming:

Yep the motor torque constant is inverse to motor Kv. You can increase the amps if your esc and motors are up for it.

Increasing amps will hit limiting returns that arent captured in the calculator. If you run a 6355 at 200a that calulator will say you’re gonna get >10Nm of torque. In the real world that motor will hit magnetic saturation and produce less torque with higher amps.

Is a bigger motor more powerful? Yes and no. The smaller one will hit magnetic saturation earlier but they will produce similar amounts of torque until that point.

This is why a 7490 motor is rated for more torque than a 6355 motor.

Bigger motor + current level that would saturate a smaller motor = more torque.
Bigger motor running lower current = same torque as small motor.

2 Likes

Yeah this is not working, it’s actually not uniformly applied anywhere at all and the lower and uppercase letters get switched ALL the time. For example, mass is lower case m in almost every engineering class ever that I took.

This can work on a rule of thumb basis, but context is always king.

1 Like

mAh man :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

I guess you missed the word “sometimes”?

No.

Weird then.

What do you mean? You’re being not very clear in what you’re trying to infer.