Public chat - talk about everything with everyone

Check out some of the hardware running OpenPnP software. It’s basically a 3d printer with a vacuum pump, camera and some feeders. Can populate an entire board (or several boards) in a pretty reasonable amount of time.

Combine that with an open source reflow oven and the only two things you’d need to order are PCBs and chips, both of which can be ordered from US suppliers like Oshpark & Ti (if they ever get stock lol) or the other long list of chip fabs outside of China, like Taiwan (:slight_smile:), Japan, Korea, etc.

I’ve seen some “ready to assemble” hardware kits go for $1-2k. I think a surprisingly affordable electronics manufacturing setup outside of China could totally be done.

For CNC parts, the MPCNC is cool and all, but not production ready as it’s not very rigid and machines aluminum way too slow. The PrintNC though, that thing can fly through aluminum, and with LinuxCNC supports tool changes and all sorts of cool features. Can be built for $2-3k

Aluminum:

Stainless:

Tool changer:

Realistically it would take months to set all this up, configure it for the parts you wanted to make, and tweak everything to get just right… but frankly no manufacturing plant is a quick setup, and all these projects have a huge open source community for support.

6 Likes

that machine is absolutely not haveing a good time with that SS lol

1 Like

It’s not as good as a 10-20k machine, but it does OK

“You can hear me manually playing around with RPM during the cut trying to find the sweet spot”

3 Likes

Do you have your own machining equipment?

I built an MPCNC, made lots of wood projects and some aluminum stuff on it. It works really well for wood, but just OK for aluminum. It’s the same machine that Boardnamics started out on, in fact I followed Kevin’s guide on their website for aluminum settings. It leaves a lot to be desired though. I’m looking to build a PrintNC, maybe over the winter. Seems like the perfect balance between rigidity and cost for milling aluminum.

EDIT:

6 Likes

yeah definitely. Ive done much worse on small cnc routers lol.

1 Like

The ability to make circuit boards could be really valuable. I think the era of globilization is coming to an end and regions of the world may have to become more self sufficient when it comes to sourcing products.

4 Likes

I’m not sure I fully agree with the second part, but COVID certainly put a huge strain on the supply chain, and being able to source stuff in multiple ways is definitely useful for whatever future catastrophe inevitably comes along.

1 Like

It is possible that cheap manufacturing will move somewhere else in the world.

China is in a massive economic crisis, The housing market is a multi-trillion dollar ponzi scheme resulting in a severe banking crisis. Real-estate makes up 30% of their GDP and 70% of all Chinese are invested in the real estate market. The value of the housing market has been dropping like a rock for the last year. Think of the 2008 housing crisis in the US except 10-100x bigger. China has massive infrastructure debt. High speed rail system alone is almost 1 trillon dollars in debt. Ever hear of ghost cities? They are real.

To top it all off, 30 years of the 1 child policy means they will not have much of a work force soon. Tons of older people are retiring and there are not enough people to replace them. In about 50 years, their population will be half of what it is now. Can’t manufacture without a large labor force. If their economy crashes, we will have supply chain issues that will make 2020/2021 look mild.

Global supply chains include a lot more countries than China though. Taiwan, Bangladesh, Philippines, India, etc are all very important too.

1 Like

…hey guys.

What is your preferred length for a mountainboard?

• 38in
  • 40in
  • 42in
  • 44in
  • I am simply too large to have a reasonable opinion

0 voters

where depression thread at

Mental health

2 Likes
2 Likes

Does anybody knows how much does a tayto deck plus enclosure weights ?

That would save me the time to tear my old build appart so I can gave a shipping quote on the deck ^^’

1 Like

I have a tayto i can weigh for ya, but not the stock enclosure~

1 Like

thank you so much, the enclosure is light abs, shouldn’t be more than 200-400gr

if only im at home, then i will have the answer for u :joy:

1 Like

Deck weighs 3 pounds 6 ounces.
Enclosure cant be much more. For most shipping services the first weight bracket is 8 pounds and under, though, so 8 pounds should give you a reasonable estimate.

**1.5kg=3p6o

2 Likes