Public chat - talk about everything with everyone

Damn shkreli is based af

Is this because they have less copper or because the wire is thinner?

his motors are smaller than what heath is using rn, so they do have less copper.

I thought he was saying that this is why lower kv motors have lower current ratings in general?

Thatā€™s what i was thinking too. I dont know much about motors, but these particular motors are the only ones ive seen rated this way (lower kv = lower amperage). Idk if this is due to the way theyā€™re built or if this a fact across bldc motors in generalā€¦

This would be a fact across BLDC motors in general. If you look at spec sheets for motors, you will notice the lower KV motors will be rated for less watts. There is like a sweet spot where you will get more torque and still be able to to pull over 100amps, and itā€™s right around 135-155kv

In my opinion motors in that KV range wonā€™t have much difference in performance, but I would recommend going a bit higher KV, so closer to 150 and gearing for the speed you want.

But if you would like to experiment, I have exactly 1 set of 100kv motors lol

In fact I have both 100kv and 173kv stators for them :rofl: feel free to swap between them and see the difference

2 Likes

To explain why:

Lower kv motors require more windings (wraps of wires in the stator) to produce their higher torque/lower speed characteristics. If you have two motors of the same size, one being 100kv and the other 200kv, they have the same volume of copper inside of them. However, since the 100kv motor requires more windings, it has to use thinner wires to fit all those wraps in the available space.

The 200kv motor can use thicker wires since it requires fewer wraps around the stator, and those thicker wires can handle more current and produce less heat.

Thatā€™s my understanding of it anyway. Iā€™m not a real duck, I just play one on TV.

A larger format motor has a larger volume of copper, meaning that even a low kv option will have thick enough windings to handle lots of amps. A higher kv version will still have thicker wires though.

10 Likes

:pray::pray::pray: now here is A man that knows things! Thanks Ben!

2 Likes

my whole life has been a lie

3 Likes

I was just trying to like Benā€™s poast then you scooped in ninja like right as my thumb was clicking. Sneaky bastard, Ill let you keep it

2 Likes

I take it all back. Youā€™re not a feeble-minded flapdoodle.

3 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

It makes sense. Iā€™m running the 138kv BB motors at 110 amp without problem, except for overheating easily. Its my understanding a lot of that heat is due to them being absolutely full of epoxy. I was hoping a 125kv Reachers could do the sameā€¦ As much as id love to play around worh them, I canā€™t risk failure and I need to stop wasting money on motors that wont do the job. My search continues. Thanks for all the info

4 Likes

The only way you can push more amps through a lower kv motor and make less heat is to use a bigger motor. However,

I agree with Artem. Thereā€™s a sweet spot where you have to balance the technically higher torque output of a low kv motor with the thicker windings of a high kv motors. In short, there are circumstances where you can get more torque from a higher kv motor by pushing more amps through and generating less heat/electrical losses.

3 Likes

instructions unclear

1 Like

Yes I agree with you, higher KV higher gearing, but things like size and of drive train and erpm limit become a concern then

2 Likes

Iā€™m not even hitting 90k erpm here. I donā€™t think itā€™ll be a problem for anything thatā€™s 75/100. I do imagine this drivetrain will wear faster. In terms of size, Iā€™m just using moon drives and flipsky 6384s, so not super large. This crazy setup Iā€™m running is more of an experiment to see whatā€™s possible more than anything.

1 Like

I am curious to see how it goes. But yeah you not super pushing things here, what you got like 190kv and 1:5?

1 Like

190kv and 6.42:1
he has some new all metal gears with a smaller wheel pinion in beta soonish

1 Like

Is this straight cut I assume? :sweat_smile:

1 Like