PSA: Be super careful with TorqueBoards Direct Drives, almost got very injured again with them

I’m sick of TB level of ignorance, what a joke.

8 Likes

@torqueboards
What’s your recommended fix regarding the stator /rotor moving as mentioned in my previous comment
I’d like to do a tried and tested fix

“ are the motor parts - bearings, stator, rotor loctite together to stop movement, as there appears to be nothing stopping the rotor sliding a couple mm over the stator, leaving the windings almost rubbing on the end plates of the motor case.
I have reassembled with loctite 609 and it appears to be stable now.
What about a shim between stator and the small bearing, to make the entire assembly non compressible. Then when the wheel nuts are tightened all it’s doing is pushing the entire wheel /motor onto the axel”

Mine came out as well. Along with strange noise with one of the motors. Only have about 20 miles on them.

8 Likes

shocking

someone is going to get legitimately hurt

Mine also had the weird noise, I think it’s from phase wires disconnecting but idk, honestly if it wasn’t for the phase wires not being able to just slide in and out of the enclosure hole willynilly I’d be pretty fucked

3 Likes

I don’t know man…your pet octopus looks a little sick there…

5 Likes

But saving on Locttie, Is retarded. - and ultimatly will cost TB more than it will make them. Informing all those i know with such motors asap.

Hubs are proven, DD’s are still new (few years) and are not yet fully tested wide enough - so far it seems they work- until they dont and fall apart .

Which in fairness is not bad - if there’s indications one can notice prior to.

(but when buying a DD kit like that. assembled, - that Locttie is a no brainer.

1 Like

Just tell them to learn to fall better, nbd

(that’s the official response so far)

5 Likes

Been pushing gears on people mostly. My 190s and a set of Moons or 3DS mini Thanes or Mini AT drives are peanut butter and jelly.

4 Likes

And to all of you staying out of it because of your love of dex, at some point the wrong person will get hurt and put him out of business. It’s in your best interests to see he improves his practices. Much easier to destroy a US company than a Chinese one from here.

Even if they are not “legally responsible” he will get drowned in legal fees, but maybe with all the money he saves by not loctiting, it’ll be fine :eyes:

4 Likes

why has this not happened with any other esk8 companies yet, or with regular skateboards?

Danger assumed by riding…

3 Likes

Guess most have a warning label somewhere on their product. Like that it’s all up to your own risk to use it. No way you could sue them in case of a crash.

3 Likes

I simply wanted @worldismine772 to consider what might be wrong with their statement. I think you are correct Andy. People do not respect such things.

2 Likes

Im curious to, there must have been boards that caught on fire and burnt down someones hacienda. How does a company walk out unharmed from that.

1 Like

they try not to make boards that are ever ablazin in the first place.

House fires are terrible, just heard of one earlier that made my heart heavy.

Ofc but like you said it has happened before. how come we dont see companies going out of business because of it, or some bad injuries, taking it to court surely must favor the consumer.

1 Like

idk maybe we can look into the automotive world for some answers

1 Like

im guessing their bankaccounts can handle a few haciendas.

1 Like

For sure there is danger assumed by riding, it’s inherently dangerous. A company selling un-QC’d products where you’re told to just bolt it on makes it even more dangerous. If you think the right person wouldn’t crush TB for TB telling them to learn to fall better over their own companies incompetence causing an injury, you’re tripping.

You can’t compare this to regular skateboarding, there are no regulations with regular skateboards, but there are regulations coming out with regard to PEV’s and certain QC requirements could be part of that, but will never happen for regular skateboarding.

And your automotive mfr comparison is very bad, they have industry standard QC, are very regulated and their products need to meet certain government agency set requirements. When someone does get killed or extremely injured due to a manufacturing defect, they have extremely large pockets to make settlements. If the motor fell out of a new car or the axles failed in a catastrophic way, I assure you the mfr wouldn’t say oh yo learn to crash better, but they would be bending over backwards to understand and resolve the issue and make it right.

Whereas TB does not, and will get crushed.

8 Likes

Is it me or is this issue very simple to break down?

TB: Put a sticker or something saying to secure with loctite. Maybe have photos on the site with the drives taken apart so buyers know to what degree these can be disassembled.

USERS: Nothing is ever actually pre-assembled unless the whole board is.

9 Likes

TB’s website disagrees with you. And if it’s some unwritten rule that just because we say it’s pre-installed, but actually not really, then that is a liability.

Just because you guys are willing to accept some really silly responses and flawed way of thinking, doesn’t mean I am, and most people are likely in my boat.

8 Likes