PSA: Be super careful with TorqueBoards Direct Drives, almost got very injured again with them

I’ll be pleasantly surprised if that is the case, but I’ll settle with standard QC and some level of reasonable support.

As I said, this is the 2nd set of DD’s to cause issues, and I’ve heard issues privately from others, as well have seen multiple instances of issues in the DD thread. Clearly there is an issue somewhere in his chain.

On some level it’s highly unethical to continue selling these things

3 Likes

Look, you may be right. But if we have a collective soft spot for Dexter and TB, it’s for good reason.

He/they gave us products like TB218s, quality 30Q 12s4p packs, complete single and double motor kits, and the unquestionably best 'thane in esk8: 110s.

Good shit like that buys you some leeway.

6 Likes

totally agree

but on the other side, several companies have issues and address them directly instead of blaming the customer, but what do I know :man_shrugging:

i promise i’m more fun than this thread depicts

7 Likes

So any body wanna share an e joint? No one?

2 Likes

I’ve had the pleasure of rooting through TB 12s4p batteries :grimacing::grimacing::grimacing: and I’ve never had luck with the 4 sets of 218s I’ve held

But his new motors and wheels are the shit, I will give him that

7 Likes

Kumbaya my Lord kumbaya kumbaya my Lord kumbaya. . Everybody now, kumbaya my Lord kumbaya. Anyone? @torqueboards

1 Like

Everything ok at home, Chris?

10 Likes

Of course :relaxed:.

3 Likes

Mhhh dude, I thought it was a solid axle through the whole hanger :thinking:

1 Like

So true, I can’t imagine what would be said here if the brand was “insert random chinese manufacturer name here”

:joy:

5 Likes

Defiantly come apart, I put a bearing retainer on the Id and od of the big bearing and the small. Otherwise the stator slides in and out,
Was looking at puting a shim between the stator and the smaller bearing

4 Likes

This should not happen, one because this is a product not meant to be taken apart. Secondly i bet he does not want customers to take his shit apart and come back when they broke it. Thirdly its a 600 bucks drivetrain, so when people buy this they dont expect to take it apart and check.

Last point is that this is a drivetrain made to be simple and just assemble and ride, and mostly people that ride better than they build opt for this.

Im getting a bit tired of people saying the elofties are so much worse when i constantly read shit about this. I think we are at a point now that so many people ride this that flaws become visible with this system too. Time for fix.

20 Likes

Yes, they can come apart, but they are not sold as self-serviceable and the method to get them open is not reasonable unless you’re very determined to fix an unserviceable product

At EOD though we’re talking about the motor falling off a completely assembled product, advertised as just bolt on, without any maintenance advisement, I personally also thought the axle was one piece making this impossible.

6 Likes

I am sorry I came across like it was your fault.

To be honest, it was my assumption that it was your fault for not applying loctite yourself, and because I didn’t know they were explicitly sold as ready to ride… That screenshot and all the thoughts in this thread put that into perfect perspective.

No excuses man. 🫂

12 Likes

Maybe direct drive just isn’t the most reliable system quite yet lol

3 Likes

DDs are flawed

21 Likes

oh boy… Here’s a star. @moon :star:

17 Likes

Yes I was determined to fix.
@torqueboards are the motor parts - bearings, stator, rotor loctite together to stop movement, as there appears to be nothing stopping the rotor sliding a couple mm over the stator, leaving the windings almost rubbing on the end plates of the motor case.
I have reassembled with loctite 609 and it appears to be stable now.
What about a shim between stator and the small bearing, to make the entire assembly non compressible. Then when the wheel nuts are tightened all it’s doing is pushing the entire wheel /motor onto the axel?
Am I missing something here?

when something is sold as preassembled, they are not simply just “the motor parts”

i don’t understand some of the logic itt, but re: dick riding

1 Like

@Kram720 I’m assuming you got the very first version released? If I’m understanding you correctly. Last few versions this was fixed.

@worldismine772 We do apply red loctite. It is also possible to break the loctite seal as well and/or the loctite seal didn’t set in time. Will include more details on maintenance. As I said, I’m sorry it happened to you glad you are okay. Injuries are no joke. Please do check your board even if it is our QC that has failed.

4 Likes