PSA: Be super careful with TorqueBoards Direct Drives, almost got very injured again with them

lol, that was a good one

1 Like

Imma get this bitch to 500.

4 Likes

Yup. A quick motor replacement will do the truck. My buddy Morgan said it took 2 months to get his replacement.

I appreciate your ease

1 Like

LOL one of my daily riders had a pair of “good ones” left over from a couple of customers who switched drive systems entirely after one seized on each of their boards. Now they’re both crunchy as hell too. probably going to put some belts on it.

5 Likes

My axles weren’t loose, but it definitely looks like there wasn’t even a single drop of threadlocker on them. You’re welcome, Shua! :slight_smile:

9 Likes

…yikes

5 Likes

cheers lets give them a test on friday and see if they are gooood

1 Like

come on guys we’re so close! just 65 more.

so if dds often have a variety of issues, what’s the point of using them? like why use them over belt or gear drives?

2 Likes

I’ve never used DD’s but I would have to assume inherent ease of use/no assembly time, just bolt on and go. Less moving parts = less room for potential failure (… in theory). I prefer GDs over everything else, but DDs serve the same purpose if they were reliable. I’d bet that as soon as DDs become as tried and tested and reliable as GDs and belts, they will become widely adopted

3 Likes

Well I guess I understand why the torqueboards dds fail so much now… I guess dex figured that since he was selling to DIYers he had to make sure there was some assembly involved, but the dds were shipped “pre assembled”… Therefore, the obvious choice was for him to design in a clever mechanism by which the drives would disassemble themselves thus giving DIYers the opportunity to get some hands on time with them. He’s honestly a hero because not only does this allow people to improve their assembly skills, but it also allows people to practice their high speed falling so they are less likely to injure themselves in the future.

13 Likes

Exactly you should respect him

I bet flipsky thought the same thing and that’s the reason they make their vescs blow up a lot

4 Likes

Holy shit, had a good laugh at that one.

13 Likes

60 more. Surely someone crashed recently. I need to see some blood!

1 Like

where on your website does it specify that tho :confused:

5 Likes

I still have a dead motor and nothing from Dexter. Had issues since day one and I now have a non functioning board.

2 Likes

:frowning_face:

1 Like

Well, I wish I saw this thread before I ordered my 60Kv Direct Drives… I just finished putting my build together with my buddy like a week ago, been too busy to ride it. :joy:

10/10 for the heads up on the axles though, ended up having to apply blue thread locker to all 4, they all came loose with barely any torque. Thankful I did that before taking it for its first test run. My motors seem perfectly fine as far as I can tell at least. Any red flags I should look out for on these motors to know if they’re going to shit on me early?

12 Likes

Depending how your spacing is it’s possible to bind up the bearings by over-tightening the wheels, make sure you have it just right or could fail the bearings early.

2 Likes

I had issues with the motor bearing seated underneath the wheel core adapter working its way loose over time.

It wasn’t so loose that I could take it out by hand, but it kept budging its way out over time. The inner race was scraping the wheel core adapter causing a bunch of little metal shavings to pile up in there.

I tried using washers between the motor and wheel adapter but this just gave more room for the motor bearing to keep backing out, and when it did the scraping continued.

It was ultimately fixed by gently tapping the outer race of the motor bearing with something soft to re-seat it into the motor, and then shimming between the outer race and wheel core adapter with a thin nylon 3D printed ring. Now I can tighten everything down all the way and the bearing stays put.

IMHO, it’s a great kit… I wouldn’t regret the purchase if I were you- just keep an eye on them, occasionally take the wheels off, take the wheel adapter off, give them a good look over.

Some people have clicking from the motor torque causing them to rotate a bit back and forth on the hangar. You might want to get some thin tape, kapton tape, and shim between the square part of the hangar that the motor slides over to prevent this, it’s mostly aesthetic though and isn’t really an issue… Just noisy.

If you have a problem with thermals, using computer thermal paste between the motors and hangars helps a ton to transfer heat better to the finned area between the motor.

8 Likes