Power Traverse - electric snowboard

That’s not why I said kickstarter is a bad idea.

Historically, those who take this approach have a low chance of success.

2 Likes

Historically people have a low chance of success anyhow, how many start ups fail compared to ones that continue to grow into a business that lasts?

Quick google results are shocking.

1 Like

I hear you can pay @onloop for advice on running a starup esk8 company

:thinking: Intriguing :nerd_face:

or is this more ESN0 than ESK8

3 Likes

But taking money up front is restricting your engineering decisions which directly lowers your chance of success.

Before folks have paid, you can make any changes you want for better technical results.

Once you take money, you add extra artificial engineering restrictions. Nothing is more difficult than engineering an electric production vehicle — than engineering an electric production vehicle with less ability to make decisions.

I fully expect you to dismiss this and do it anyway, but I’ve tried to help you, which makes me feel better.

3 Likes

Makes sense, you tied into creating what they already paid for instead of the freedom to change designs as needed.

3 Likes

no to worried about Kickstarter. It’s simply marketing.

We will build and ship units direct from day one.

1 Like

at the same time, it can be hard as a creative engineer to set a cutoff about what is good enough already for a product and just go ahead with that. There is a definite risk in getting stuck forever in cycles of improvements and never actually having a product ready for sale. That’s quite a fun state for engineering, designing, arguably more fun than producing and selling something. But the bottom line is to know if you can afford staying in that state for too long, as the money flux isn’t really coming in the right direction.

Once you have something robust that fits the brief you had defined, settle on that design for a bit, get some money from sales, gather wider feedback from your clients, and only think of releasing a V2 in a given timeframe like 18 months or so.

4 Likes

So i love the product you are making here, just one thought, how much snow does it spit up behind you? From my experience a lot of people are on those hills, would be annoying if you sprayed them with snow, it might even get banned quickly on the piste if this product becomes popular and it turns out you endanger your fellow boarders with it.

3 Likes

That should answer you question :slight_smile:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CJAjk2TnPRz/

3 Likes

Not too bad, but maybe not as promising aswell :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

That kid weighted like 40 pounds it’s going to act differently with a 200 pound rider on it

1 Like

what do you mean with this? worse or better?

1 Like

I think it’s better with more weight

UPDATE: We had enough traction… needed more amps to drive motor.

Just received 75v controller that works. hit 72v/50A for 3s
Waiting on better batteries. 21700 45A
Expect another test soon.

4 Likes

I rode it… 195lb. It had trouble turning the wheel from a dead stop with the shit batteries and small controller.

I immediately knew we didn’t have the current to drive the motor.

Being frustrated I decided to pin it and see what it would do.

Next thing I knew I was on my ass.

I didn’t expect so much traction/acceleration. You need to lean forward like an esk8 or you’ll be on your ass.

new batteries should do the trick.

4 Likes

What battery pack are you getting and from who?

3s battery?

Since the 75/200 Amp controller failed, we didn’t have an esc that could handle the 17S pack we had.

I ended up buying 2 VESC6 on amazon and hooking up some ebay 13S 700W ebike packs we had from earlier tests.

The new packs will use MOLICEL 21700 P42A 4200MAH 45A Cells - 16s3p

Built by bicyclemotorworks.com

4 Likes

Last model rode like shit.

Decided to re-engineer the arms to get it riding better.

These arms will be engineered from 2 blended materials more flex near the front.

We are trying to finalize the new motor hub design and get some custom hub motors made.

6 Likes

Power System v1

75V50A VESC
16s 21700 45A Cells -40C (12.6ah)
100A BMS
Potted (Waterproof) ESC & Receiver

6 Likes