Potential Esk8 Software Project

@Ricco’s TTL light controller app could do this and I always thought it was a super neat emergency feature. I don’t see it in the app anymore though. It was a big box with up and down joystick style swipe control.

2 Likes

Oh wow, then you can really make something cool and useful!

Are you considering software only projects, or does your team know how to make hardware too?

It’s still there :slight_smile:

2 Likes

A crash detection system app that can tie in to the vesc polling data to alert a preset loved one via text or email that a potential crash has occurred.

Make it send last location recorded as well. Pop a notification on the skater’s phone so they know the alert has been sent out too with the ability to follow up with “everything’s fine” or “I need haaaalp!”

I ride in the boonies sometimes and right around 40mph I sometimes think “if I crashed right now, who would even find me?” and that’s scary.

11 Likes

This is a really good one
Def a worth it thing to have

1 Like

That is clever as hell.
A way to initiate that manually might be good too.

3 Likes

I think you can buy them
Same as something made for falls for old people

1 Like

LOL…I remember the late night commercials for those things…”I’ve fallen and I can’t get up!”

A verrry bad and unintentionally funny commercial but a terrifying situation to be in.

4 Likes

There are these emergency bracelets for seniors that I assume have similar functionality except way simpler to implement. Alternatively you can set emergency alert on your phone if you rapidly press 5 times lock button. Yeah, these don’t work if you get knocked out, but it’s something.

2 Likes

The team is focused on a software project. Our training means that we could fiddle with some hardware, but we won’t be able to create anything substantial.

2 Likes

Apple Watch has a crash/fall detection now. I don’t own one, so I’m not sure if that’s dependent on the OS version or model, but I know it exists

1 Like

Depends on the model. I own one and it’s great.

1 Like

It would be great to have an interface that would pull data from things like vesc tool, stormcore app, map systems, telemetry data, and user input data such as bad road conditions or bookmarks for fun riding spots.

Also an app for this forum would be awesome.

1 Like

I have one. Its worth it. Fall detection works, I know from experience.

3 Likes

I agree. Custom routes are already sort-of possible just using MyMaps for Google Maps but it’s a bit crap and unwieldy. It’s probably something that’s better added to Metr Pro (@rpasichnyk) as a groovy new ‘publish’ feature though, rather than something to be completely reinvented.

The most worthy software challenge I can think of is the mythical and highly sought after Mellow-esque ‘Endless Mode’ that gives you power-assisted kick-push for stealth boarding. There’s already quite a few threads on this subject cos many lesser folk have tried and have failed.

Will you finally be the ones who taste glory!?

Edit: for reference…

7 Likes

Oh yeah baby. Talk dirty to me. There’s a loaded unlimited kit at a shop in Florida I’ve added to my cart too many times.

2 Likes

Mario (the NYC guy who made the site, not contino) completely dismissed me when I brought this up saying that the “last updated” blurb was enough to consider that issue “solved”.

Smh

1 Like

Davega is great but I see it more like a “quick critical info when at stop” than when riding. Also makes for cool gauges if you have a camera footage, like a sport car.

When I’m going for it my attention gets focused 100% on the ride itself and senses tense up considerably.

Can’t even take a look at my smart watch, no room left for concentration when speeding :joy:

So actually a HUD would be tremendous progress IMHO. :rocket:

Just blast your way through and don’t take eyes off the road / trail / track. Add metrics to what your body feels.

6 Likes

Update!

Unfortunately, this project isn’t viable for our capstone project at the university and we’ve chosen another project to work on next year. We hope that we’ll be able to develop the app anyway at some point down the road, but there’s no timeline for that. Thank you all so much for the awesome ideas! We’ve taken note of them and will definitely share with the community should this project come to life at some point.

3 Likes

Pfff! Another one bites the dust.

1 Like