Potential Esk8 Software Project

A few friends and I have been tasked to develop a project of our choosing as a capstone project for our time at our university. This is to be a (school) year-long project beginning in September 2022 and ending in May 2023.

We’ve been brainstorming a bunch of potential ideas and some of them have to do with Esk8. We’d like to know what the community desires from software that they could use. I know there’s various telemetry apps (Xmatic, Stormcore, Yours Truly, etc.) already, but we want to take it farther than that. We’re thinking of creating a new telemetry app that combines the best features from everything we’ve used and adding in more features like road safety info or safe routes for Esk8 (Google Maps for bikes is insufficient!). Thoughts? Any suggestions? Go wild!

Please do note that this is only one of several braindump ideas we have and is not guaranteed to happen as we need approval from our project advisor on whatever idea we come up with.

6 Likes

It would be nice to have better wearables software for telemetry, although metr does everything I want it to already.

HUD stuff would be cool.

6 Likes

Waze like notifications for bad roads on a app that connects to my wearable(ex apple watch) and buzzes when I’m getting close to a bad part of the road(potholes, rough road, uneven sidewalk) would be awesome.

5 Likes

IDK how possible it’d be, but a BT based remote app would be cool. Would be a potential backup to if the primary remote runs out of power, or even allow you to program scripted movements for idk what yet (but I’m sure there’s a use case in non-esk8 VESC applications).

4 Likes

There’s actually some boards that work with this. Believe my friend’s first board had it. Its a thing that does exist but I think there was too many problems which led to it not being used anymore.

1 Like

a map app of free charging spots that uses user-submitted content to improve data

5 Likes

Oh for sure I think I saw one before (maybe it was Mellow?), and I don’t doubt that it would make a horrible primary remote system in terms of signal reliability, but as far as I’m aware I haven’t seen a software controlled VESC outside of VESC tool.

1 Like

There are actually several websites for this already but integration into an app would be good

1 Like

Who needs a HUD when we have a Heads-Down-Display (Davega)? lol

6 Likes

Whats the site?

Ehhhhh let me try to dig it up, I think I bookmarked it. There was one for NYC and one for other places

I think this is one I was thinking of, I don’t remember what the NYC site was

2 Likes

I wish I could tell what walking trails were esk8 friendly rather than finding out the hard way there are steps :sob:

6 Likes

Nah most of those outlets are covered, locked, or gone now

2 Likes

This this this please.

I would love an app in where I could upload the data from my telemetry and gps, and verify it as a route that others can take. The app would automatically compare the gps route to existing roads in Google maps, and create new ones in places that don’t have one. (I don’t think you can integrate new roads in Google maps but you can maybe do that with an in-app map)

Ideally, it would also let you upload pictures from the route. For example if there is a tough spot in a route, the user can take a picture, upload it you the app and mark exactly where it is located.

Also with the telemetry data, you could make a calculator in where you make your account, write your boards specs and calculates if your board will be able to do the route in a single charge.

It would also be cool to be able to post group rides, and notify regular users of said route that the event it’s going to take place, to encourage interaction

4 Likes

@Ricco’s TTL light controller app could do this and I always thought it was a super neat emergency feature. I don’t see it in the app anymore though. It was a big box with up and down joystick style swipe control.

2 Likes

Oh wow, then you can really make something cool and useful!

Are you considering software only projects, or does your team know how to make hardware too?

It’s still there :slight_smile:

2 Likes

A crash detection system app that can tie in to the vesc polling data to alert a preset loved one via text or email that a potential crash has occurred.

Make it send last location recorded as well. Pop a notification on the skater’s phone so they know the alert has been sent out too with the ability to follow up with “everything’s fine” or “I need haaaalp!”

I ride in the boonies sometimes and right around 40mph I sometimes think “if I crashed right now, who would even find me?” and that’s scary.

11 Likes

This is a really good one
Def a worth it thing to have

1 Like

That is clever as hell.
A way to initiate that manually might be good too.

3 Likes