Potato 'n' whatever | Jet Potato 33 | 10S4P | Dual Flipsky 6354 | Dual Flipsky 4.12 | 97mm eskating

potato ‘n’ whatever

Imgur

My second build. Despite my first build covers most of my needs, I’m building second board. I wanted to ride a board similar to what most people ride. Also got good deals on parts. I decided to make a post since I have almost everything ready for the build except few parts. However building will take me few weeks since semester started and I’m busy.

Parts list

Deck: Jet Potato 33
Trucks: Caliber II 44
Wheels: Eskating 97mm 73a
Battery: 10s4p 30q
ESCs: 2x Flipsky FSESC 4.12
Motors: 2x Flipsky 6354 190KV
Enclosure: Eskating ABS 420mm
Motor mounts: Boardnamics
Remote: Firefly Nano

Parts details

Deck

Originally I wanted to build Jet Spud after @Agressivstreetlamp offered me his deck. Unfortunately that didn’t workout. Thanks anyway. I fell in love with this deck, but it’s hard to get. I managed to get hands on similar deck, Jet Potato 33 in metalic blue color. Length of the deck is just right, so it might be even better for me than Spud.
It has small kicktail, that I’m not sure if will be good for kick turns, but will definitely help with picking up and putting board down on the road.
It has concave, little rocker and cutouts for wheels. Still getting heavy wheel-bite, more on that later.

Imgur
Imgur

Length is 83cm.
Imgur

Width is 24cm
Imgur

Maximum wheelbase is 63cm.
Imgur

Trucks

Nothing special here, I will use popular Caliber II 44 in satin green color.

Imgur

Wheels

Originally wanted to get ABEC11 Flywheels 107mm, but they are crazy expensive and I was afraid of chunking. Then I stumbled on Eskating 97mm Pro wheels with duro claiming to have 73a duro. These have good price. Nice compromise between original and chinese clone ABECs. I don’t have wheels to compare duro to, but they are tiny bit softer than my chinese wheels on other board.

Imgur
Imgur

Battery

10S4P Samsung 30Q cells. Got it from @blubbking. Thanks bro.

Imgur

ESCs

Old, popular, dirty cheap VESC 4.12.

Imgur

Motors

Again, not much to say here. These seem to be popular, they fit on Calibers in dual configuration. Flipsky is making them very affordable.

Imgur

Enclosure

Originally I planned to use 3D printed enclosure, but my current 3d printed enclosure failed on me, so I looked for premade one. I got it from eskating. Their prices are fair. It comes even with waterproof gasket already glued on. I went with 38x165x420mm version. It’s made of 3mm ABS. It has some imperfections to it, but it’s not a problem. And it fits my deck. Very tight fit, but it fits. It goes over wheel cutouts, but thanks to the gasket, it shouldn’t be a problem. It doesn’t have predrilled holes, but I think that you can pay extra for that if you want. Logo on the enclosure is just a sticker that can be easily peeled off if you want clean look.

Imgur
Imgur
Imgur

Motor mounts

These are mounts designed and sold by @Boardnamics, I got them second hand from @Halbj613. Thanks to booth of you guys. @Boardnamics is comming up with lot of cool new shit, I might order some upgrades :slight_smile: . Anyway, I love these mounts. Thick material, comes with all the screws, good price. Even has a option for 3D printed cover, which I will probably get.
Also it is possible to add crossbar. I bought variable ones from @dickyho. Thanks bro. Probably not needed, but it won’t hurt to have it there. It will make it stiffer and help me to square up stuff.

Imgur
Imgur
Imgur
Imgur

Remote

I already build Firefly, now it’s time to try out Firefly Nano.

Imgur

Misc

Wheel pulleys

40T 3D printed pulleys designed by @JuniorPotato93. Printed from PETG, 80% infill. Originally wanted to use 12mm version, but it is actually 14mm thick and doesn’t fit on my trucks. I will have to go with 9mm version, that is 11mm thick.

Imgur

Motor pulleys

16T

Imgur

Grip

Standard griptape. This time I didn’t go for the cheapest one. It looks solid.

Imgur

Deck protectors

I got these thingies to protect your deck from wearing out on front and rear. Mostly rear, when I lift it. IDK if these are good or just waste of money. Does anybody use them?

Imgur

Problems to solve

Here are some stuff that I need to search on the forum for. It’s more like TODO list for myself.

How to drill holes and mount the enclosure?

I have no clue here. I only have hand drill, so not sure how precise I will be able to drill it. I was drilling truck holes on my other deck before and they turned out to be usable, but not precisely drilled. I got some M4 wood inserts, 20mm M4 screws and washers. Will 10pcs M4 screws be enough?

Imgur

How to route motor cables into enclosure?

I got these waterproof PG16 glands. It seem to be right size for all motor wires. Hope that they will be useful.

Imgur

Fuses?

Read here something about using fuses. I think that 12V 30A should be just right, but need to do more research on that. Are standard car fuses ok for esk8s?

Imgur

Wheel bite?

I test fitted the board with 8mm spacers, but I’m encountering huge wheel bite. I tried to puck the board a bit, but I get wheel bite often. MOAR RISERS!

Imgur
Imgur

17 Likes

Nice! I would have loved a 4p on my spud :0

For the riser, I just used the riptide tunnel riser (14mm) and never encountered WB. You could probably go 12 and be fine, but I liked the routing capabilities.

I did have a tight setup though, hopefully 14mm is enough

1 Like

That’s good to hear. For now I will try out another 8mm pair - 16mm height in total. I just need to get longer screws tomorrow in hardware store. I might purchase riptide tunnel risers as well.

1 Like

Theres a reason they keep coming to my new board from my old ones, theyre awesome!

They also come with 2in HW :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Sweet gravy this looks good

I followed this on my Peregrin build. Honsetly the holes didn’t line up perfectly and the screws don’t sit perfectly flush, but the enclosure bolts on fine and I’m not worried about any water besides the occasional puddle

Bummed about he enclosure, I apologize. Next time I visit the Fam in Munich, Ill bring you whatever you want :wink:

1 Like

Also, weren’t you all like “cheap cheap” at that time? haha, and now here you are building a great build the way it should be! Nice!

1 Like

Dude, you should consider trying this with some blue caguamas. I love my shortboards with the 85mm wheels. Also with the right combination of Riptide bushings you can minimize the potential for wheel bite, and still have it turn owell I still had to have about 1/2 inch of risers on my Tayto

13 Likes

nice build!
how much did the total come out to be?

2 Likes

Haha, it’s cool. Thanks for the link.

Yeah, I was, I limited my budged. But lurking on this forum and not spending much on your board doesn’t get together. I’m already looking for all-terrain boards, lol.

Potato gang :slight_smile:

Thanks for the tip. I’m no expert yet, but by amateur testing I can say that I don’t like original bushings on Caliber trucks and want to change them. I will give Riptides a try! What models do you use? For now I will use big wheels and I might get Caguamas during black friday or some sale. Heard good reviews on them. Blue ones are softest?

Thanks. I have a spreadsheet on this, but it’s not updated at the moment, I will update it during a weekend and I can write here prices. I estimate it to be around 900 - 1000 euros.

Regarding the bushings. I weigh 230lbs(104kilos). So I go for Crank 93A. On Caliber II’s a Canon / FatCone front and a Canon / Chubby rear is a lot of fun, KranK 93a

2 Likes

Hahahha bro this is the ultimate fate of this hobby :rofl:

3 Likes

What sort of range do you get on this? I’m building a nearly identical electronic/drive train and would like some real life numbers to supplement what I’m getting from the calculators.

1 Like

Well, if you are asking me, this is not yet build or tested (it will take me 2 or 3 more weeks, we will see), but what other users reported with similar builds is at least 38km, usually somewhere in 40’s range.

In my case I’m expecting to hit maximum over 55km since I live in flat area and there is smooth asphalt track where I will be testing range.

Buildkitboards are selling similar kit, but with 10S3P battery and claim 32km range, but users reporting even 40km. So with 10S4P hitting 40-50km is good expectation.

that largely depends on how fast you ride and hills.
I have a 10ah battery and I get 30km avg. But I ride 30-40kmh constant. If my gf rides, she would do 20km constant and get like 50km+

Where can one buy such a beautiful deck?

1 Like

Hard to find kinda

https://www.sickboards.nl/en/longboards/11495-jet-potato-36-deer-hunter-deck-only.html

http://theowllongboards.it/en/deck-only/66-jet-potato-33-deathrider-deck-only.html

2 Likes

No one sells it in the US? that’s kinda weird.

1 Like

Discontinued deck… I’ve seen them pop up used on offer up once or twice. But yeah.

2 Likes

i hope it will stay in stock at sickboard for longer.

1 Like

Sad…

2 Likes