Possible issue with Torqueboards motor mounts

Not his responsibility to replace most likely misused product… Have had 3 iterations of tb mounts over the years including the new v6s. Zero problems. Ever. (When properly installed) Dickoz had a good write back in the day but not sure if his threads are still existing anywhere

3 Likes

I’ll reach out to everyone who has had issues.

Will get a thicker motor mount available as soon as I can.

19 Likes

I think it is only this version that is having issue, i have alternative mounts from Dex that are still going strong.

But lets be honest mistakes happen.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t say too tight, there’s definitely give in the belts, about 1/4in-3/8in

1 Like

As stated above already, i currently own and am using v6 mounts with stabilizer bars on tb cnc trucks and 6374 motors. No issues.

2 Likes

If everbody with cracked mounts claims the belt tension was alright, then alignment issues are the most likely culprit

1 Like

This seems like the right place to ask. Can somebody please sanity check this?

I don’t this I need crossbraces on this dual 6364 setup with TB mounts and TB 218 trucks. The center to center as small as possible and belts have decent slack. Y’all got me paranoid now :cold_sweat:

2 Likes

Ive had both mine bend as well using the 6380 motor. I was looking at the mount and wondering how hard it would be to add little flanges then run 4 small braces across. like in my picture sorry for the low quality of drawing. 20200714_151235|690x388, 50%

2 Likes

I don’t think the mounts need to be thicker than they are now, just need more cross bracing right by the motors.

7 Likes

I have the v6 mounts and used them with 6380 and now 6355 motors. I felt like the 6380 motors fit together a little too closely for my liking when using the crossbar. As @abusfullofnuns said, the mounts flex a little under heavy acceleration and braking (even with the crossbar). However, I have been careful ab tension and alignment and they are still reasonably straight.

After pestering Dexter for months about extended axles for press-fit pulleys the man came through in June! The new axles are long enough to let me mount 40T @Boardnamics pulleys which are spinning unbelievably true.

With the slightly wider stance I now have a 6.7mm gap on each side between the face of the motor mounts and the pulleys. Usually I aim for a 2 - 2.5mm gap. (I don’t really know what the ideal spacing is. If anyone with more experience has a specific recommendation LMK)

In the pic below you can see that the motor shaft is not long enough to exit the pulley and is barely making contact with the grub screws. This seems like it would put too much pressure on the motor shaft and could lead to worn bearings or worse.

Looking at the pics of bent mounts in this thread makes want to keep running with a cross bar.

@torqueboards do you have plans to offer an extended width cross bar to complement your extended axles?

If there is nothing commercially available I am thinking this would be a relatively easy CNC job. I would want to keep the same basic shape but would extend the middle section of the bar by 8.5mm.

2 Likes

To start i live in North Dakota, which we have brutal road so lots of bouncing and cracks. My one mount is fucked beyond fixing.

It just sucks cause spend all that money on the kit then the mounts do this.

6 Likes

Yikes, that looks kinda crazy, how tight were the belts?

3 Likes

Not crazy tight just enough where it wasn’t slipping every two seconds when you put the power down, but does slip when you hit on the brakes. It shouldn’t really matter how tight the belts are cause the mount shouldn’t bend like that despite how tight your belt it.
One thing I can say is that the motors are tough af mine have been beat to shit

@RichardsGore Please email us contact@torqueboards.com. Working on a new one and we’ll send out a replacement. They definitely shouldn’t be bending like that.

5 Likes

Just sent an email, I think if you add cross bracing at the tips of the mount that would fight alot of the bending issue without adding additional width to the motor mounts.

3 Likes

Bumping old thread. I was looking into buying these mounts but I’m slightly concerned with the situation. Does anyone know if the problem still presist they haven’t fixed the issue.

1 Like

if they bend they actually turn into 4 mounts

like magic

1 Like

Wait for the new, beefier version. Should be V7.

1 Like

Should be available in a few weeks.

8 Likes