Possible issue with Torqueboards motor mounts

It also would have looked dope. Why use dual motors with no cross bars ?!?!

It’s less weight

1 Like

Ok I’ll go through that thread thanks

Mine are bent after less than 50 miles. TB6380s with the support brackets installed.

4 Likes

I’d say those mounts are just too slim for those lengths and that size motors. This paired with maybe not proper belt tension will bend them super easy.
I also would take care about this corner

Looks like it could fuck up the phase wires over time.

3 Likes

Phase wires? :eyes:

Lets be honest here the cross member is far too close to the truck to be effective. It should be as close to the motors as possible but that said I have 2 sets of og reverse mounts which have never bent with my own cross bar hack and one set without which has also never bent.

2 Likes

Doesn’t surprise me too much. I can see mine flex when i brake heavy. I’ve been meaning to order a cross brace to see if it helps. I’d rather not run the motor pulley on the end of the shaft and they may be necessary with the crossbar.

Mine are bent too, also on both of them part of the metal is cracked right past the brace. Noticed it about a week ago. Not as bad as some I’ve seen in this thread, just hoping they hold out since I’ve got another set of their trucks coming in the mail :crossed_fingers:

Now that I’m looking closer it looks like the weak point is where the extra screw holes are and the crack goes right through to the other side before it hits the thicker piece of metal

2 Likes

I would not ride that. Please be careful.

6 Likes

Well damn, that sucks to hear… Considering canceling my order for their trucks if the overall thing seems unsafe since I’d be locked into the system as a whole. They’ve been solid on customer service for me so far so I’d hate to ditch them, but it seems like a widespread problem

2 Likes

I almost wonder if the crossbar creates some of the problem here since it isolates the motor section from the rest of the unit instead of letting the whole mount flex/share the load.

Can a smarter person weigh in on this?

@mmaner @Dareno

6 Likes

Those 63mm reverse mounts flex. What you are trying to create with a cross member is a solid square to alleviate that flex. What Dex has done is strengthen the mount position (because thats where the most complaints came from) without addressing the flex issue. One negates the other in actual fact. You position the cross member correctly and the mount loosening issue becomes moot.
Less product and more efficient.

4 Likes

Yes, I think you are on to something (from my experience constructing SAR vessels). If you create a stiff element in one area, the forces will travel to the next soft spot, in this case, that spot is a sharp corner that concentrate those forces, leading to the breakage.

2 Likes

Are this crack? Maybe that’s the problem.

2 Likes

Yes, there are two cracks shown in @Kale 's photos.

The 2nd is here:

1 Like

If you look at this picture, where I have added parallel lines to show the motor plates native position in relation to the motor pulley…

I wonder if the motor pulley was ever aligned and the cause is the constant torque pulling of the belt against the pulley pulling on the motor plate?

4 Likes

Holes are made both vertically and horizontal near the point of most stress.

Yes. Visually, belts seems to be overtightened.

1 Like

That could be the case if the belt was really tight. @kale , what kind of belt tension are you/were you running?

2 Likes

I Had two mounts bend on me, but i thought it was my fault due to improper installation (no brace as it wouldn’t fit) Belts weren’t overtightened I believe.