Possible issue with Kaly Hellcat/QIND tire combo - under investigation

:point_up:t3::grinning::+1:t3:

5 Likes

Kaly NYC is my favorite company/vendor with Hoyt St trailing just behind.

Ernesto easily makes some of the best stuff on the market. No disrespect to anyone- there’s lots of amazing vendors and products, a lot of which are only available through forums and such.

edit: I do love Trampa, too. I mean- they inspired Ernesto in the first place.

4 Likes

This definitely is not a hellcat issue. It’s a QIND DA 200x75 issue.

2 Likes

I’ve been curious about making a bead-lock rim… perhaps this will inspire me to think about that project again

3 Likes

I second that :point_up:t3:
But cutting away that bead material Definitely not the smartest move :grimacing:. Well. At least not as shown in the pics above. hell nah

7 Likes

What I find somewhat concerning is how much fiber is in the portion being cut away.

1 Like

My money is on this too.

Nothing shown in those pictures would lead me to believe that would cause the sidewall would blow out.

2 Likes

Well, think about how much force is being exerted on that portion of the bead by the tube when it is fully inflated.

Oh yeah. The pic of the faulty tire that broke the homie’s foot has nothing to do with cutting the excess material around the bead.
That’s a pure sidewall failure seems like.

What I was trying to say cutting that deep into the bead could lead to future problems

2 Likes

Agreed, updated title to reflect.

1 Like

To reiterate the tires were stock and uncut and the tubes were purchased externally but did not rupture or blow out.

2 Likes

@Dred truly sorry to hear about your friend’s injury! wishing him a swift recovery.

From the photo, it looks more like a failure of the tire or tube than the wheel. For the bead to slip over the rim of the wheel, it’d typically be either a faulty tire, faulty bead, an overinflated tube, or the wrong sized tube. Maybe it’s a tolerance issue with the tire? As in, QA didn’t catch a bad run of the product?

5 Likes

That’s the current running observation, I would be willing to see if the rider wants to fwd the tire and tube out to one of the few folks on here capable of doing failure analysis (you know who you are) but regardless without a defined root cause this is a bit unsettling as it kinda feels like a lottery now in terms of QA when you run these.

1 Like

Hey all, so I will try and answer a few of the unknown questions that some of you have asked.

Q. What was wrong with the original tubes?
A. Ernesto sent me 200x50 tubes with the wide Hellcats and wides tires, instead of the 200x75 that were required.

Q. Are they the stock tires?
A. Yes, they are the 200x75 tires I received from Kaly

I will gladly dig into this deeper and post additional pics and whatnot later this week once I get out of surgery and get my leg / ankle rebuilt.

25 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to come in here despite your injuries, and sorry to hear what happened to you. Hoping we can get to the bottom of this equipment failure so no one else gets hurt this way.

9 Likes

So it appears @Steve Honeycutt was able to put 200x50 kendas on the hellcat wide rims and he really likes them better than the QING DA 200x75.

Mine should be here tomorrow, I’ll be doing the same thing

6 Likes

do you have any more pictures of the stretched 200x50s?

2 Likes

@ProfoundMagician this is the only picture

7 Likes

Those look so stretched man I dig it

4 Likes

I bet they are 1/2 the weight too.

Qind tire and tube weigh more than a complete mbs wheel/tire/tube/bearing combo

4 Likes