PKP Truck Products/Design Ideas and Feedback.

honestly thats my favoriteone yet, mostly because i just think it looks really clean, but also because of how it would sit on my board. if i left them straight, itd stick out enough that i could lower this thing without any risk of wheelbite, and while i love my little monster truck, i do want a board thats NOT like 8 inches off the ground sometimes. plus, i imagine theyd make for some clean carving.

2 Likes

I was thinking the other night and you could also use two more bushings instead of the extra rod end. Would be more expensive for mostly not needed additional bushing adjustment.

Although thinking about it, the SRB NKP is quite a pain to adjust with the small rods locking onto the shaft in the way, so another bushing to change might be nice.

I realized writing that that my design you are replying to does not have the issue of rods in the way of adjustment… therefore making my point about another bushing being nice irrelevant.

Regardless I think the are the truck takes up being small just like the APEX PKP is cool, Could allow narrow wheels like a RKP.

talking about area, I think a hyper small truck could be made with a single 10mm rod end and a bushing stack/kingpin in the horizontal position. Then that in the BN adjustable baseplate. Small like the SRB V5 raceboard but mounting on any deck.

3 Likes

i agree, however i LOVE wide trucks, so id want very long axels on that design regardless. i know it doesnt REALLY add any more stability, but it feels like it does to me. specifically i like narrow back trucks and wide front, but thats based on a very specific bias i developed when one of my back wheels rolled away while i was riding, and narrow back trucks made it so that i didnt really notice until acceleration stopped working. 3 wheels was enough to roll on, in that layout.

1 Like

Would the extra 2 bushings have a shock dampening effect?

1 Like

llmao this fits there theme here.

I really wonder why we have not seen a dkp design with rkp geometry like in pic… no idea.

I like this modular bolt together truck, nice rail system for attaching parts too.

I think I would like a general interesting truck design thread, making a new category for each new type I find may get old…

2 Likes

I think the geometry of it just works out better for TKP… You need some meat where the kingpin attaches.

Also, I’m really not digging the double kingpin truck term. That’s sooo… non-descriptive and confusing.
There’s loads of designs that have multiple kingpins going on.

I really think series kingpin and parallel kingpin make so much more sense.

Of course Voxter falls in the queenpin category.

1 Like

Yes yes and yes. I think we have a problem with “DKP” being stuck to mean that classic stacked TKP base heavily popularized as of late.

For casting yes there is some advantage of the tkp funk to make the parts strong. For a CNC design no problem trying out that SERIES Kingpin idea. I was thinking about making it stack on top of a Apex air PKP to save parts to make to test the idea.

I wonder what the slop would be like…

I still like the design with the adjustable base plate.

1 Like

I like the Voxter trucks too. Very interesting idea about loading the bushings.

1 Like

I wish I could think of a better way to lock the dual axles together to make that 0 degree rod end truck design, because now that the SRB 3-link truck axle is offered it makes sense to try to mfg the design with the BN adjustable baseplate.

I should spend the time to recreate the 2 smaller link mounting into that BN baseplate design so it works without the dual axle. Guess I never thought about that much, do I ever think about anything much at all? Par all that is.

just realized I can throw bearings on there so I get a roller instead of a slider. For a more durable/water resistant design this metal/plastic on plastic idea would be perfect on a Freebord or beach board. your truck steering can also now be jammed on a pebble. Nice. sealed truckboxes when?

I will see if it makes more sense to have it on whichever side of the supermodularBNadjbaseslider. huh slider on the slider base, on a sliding board. Sounds slick.

4 Likes

The closer you get to zero deg the more unstable this will become. A zero rake truck that uses caster. Super interesting.

2 Likes

What I was thinking about is having good return to center.
on a Freeboard where I want to use these ideas you can never have a hanger get stuck more than a deg or two off center, they also need KRANKed bushings so return should be more than solid enough.
I was just considering the possible dangers to mitigate.

I have also been thinking about how to make something like a FB 5-X suspension with two NKPs that would be awesomely adjustable. I began thinking even about it may be possible to angle the rod out and run no guiding mechanism at all. (model I must)

That idea of having less than solid guiding led me to think about the axle sliding in a slot to constrain, as on a Freeboard there is no steering slop issues at speed really. Then I realised for the more normal design that you could have the slider constraint only acting from the boardside. I think this idea would work quite well scaled down, it is more simple than the dual rod design. To eliminate slot/slider slop I would try having some kind of spring/bushing preload on them.

I did not completely get this at first but I see now you mean the turn slop caused by the sliding constraint against the plate will have ever greater effect on stability approaching 0 degrees, where it is needed most. I suppose my dual NKP rod end config is superior in that respect of excellent movement constraint for stability in all positions.

I am not looking for high speed stability as the primary goal of everything I am thinking of. One thing that would be interesting is allowing that deflection on the slider constraint for some sort of suspension. Ok time to come up with some better ideas I guess.

this part I am not understanding.

2 Likes

more rake means the turning radius decreases exponentially (the more you lean).

2 Likes

Moe sounded like he meant two different things but in that pic they are defined to be the same. Maybe I am getting confused about something, well I am but idk about what.

Yeah that part I dont get either. Why is a linear turning radius more unstable?

1 Like

No I wanted an explanation of what Caster on a truck vs rake is and where it was on that model.

Well yours is 0 rake if I’m not mistaken?

1 Like

again it sounded he said there is additional component of caster.

is this part of the geometry?

sorry @Linesflag I should have been more clear, I was not asking for help understanding the picture, the picture made what @MoeStooge said make no sense so I wanted to know what he meant.

Probably because it casts on bearings?