PKP Truck Products/Design Ideas and Feedback.

I think you need to read the thread more and keep your posts condensed down so future readers don’t need to work so hard. I talked about how this design started as a o degree variation on the NKP idea, making it like a channel truck, allowing channel truck bushings. Then the idea is it is made easy to extend longer in parallel to fit whatever needs.

Yes a whole part of this design is that you can swap any part out to be bigger or smaller and I can make a version with 8mm rod ends/axle instead as a challenge to make the smallest/lightest rod end truck I can. If you make a more advanced CNC baseplate you could use a regular ball pivot without a rod end like found in some downhill trucks.

no problem with your level of input but overkill on the posts per whatever.

yep it is funny I am designing something very similar looking as to that and you just so happen to work with them! You could prob take one of those apart and make two of these truck! How about that!! :nerd_face: Cool!

hopefully you can get the idea even if the design looks a big different now.

ffs

4 Likes

guess the shock should be right over the axle actually

6 Likes

Wonder if anyone would want me to make these bushings fit they seem dope. Could easily stack them in a much much smaller space, lengthwise at least compared to all other options.

3 Likes

I have half understanding of your project and it’s fucking cool as hell!

However I’m convinced of one thing : could you give me a hand to solve the suspension truck design I posted few days ago?

I need to solve the parallel links on hanger to have a workable design.

2 Likes

My first though in seeing this is, why even have the spherical bearings in there at all anymore?
With that long of a moment spaced out such a distance, you’re probably going to be able to get really high performance response without them.

My second thought was, well if you’re getting rid of the spherical bearings, then maybe just get rid of individual bushings as well. Just make a big long rectangular bushing.

That seems pretty cool.

Or another way to simplify things.

If you’ve got two spherical bearings, the truck motion is set. You don’t need anything else.
Cut it all out and just leave one bushing.

3 Likes

haha why, yes. It is exactly the point I want to try to prove/disprove with this, could you even notice a difference with or without one or two rods when at speed/on a track. is 6 bushings dead overkill even with a wheel and width setup like the PSYCHOFRAME?

One bushing looks epic I must try that.

Seems you understand the goal is to make one design that can be modified and reconfigured to be many different forms. So the madness of the design is to put everything I could want on there in a way that does not impede on the function of all it’s features when used in whatever configuration. Oh and to make it out of as many easy to source parts as possible.

I was thinking of something a bit like this when I saw this posted by @moon a while ago:

2 Likes

Ah yes, Definitely caught that. Uh huh.

So in regards to that, this might be kinda relevant.

I found this video from this forum in the first place, so I’m betting this isn’t anything new.
But talking about adjustability this I think is a good thing to bring up.

Especially since the two elements being played with in This truck don’t seem to be real considerations in your.

If you want to reconfigure it for many different forms and applications, you’ve really also got to be able to play with axle offset. As well as playing around with having the axle being close to the fixed pivot ( spherical ), being close a soft ( bushing ) pivot, or even cantilevered out past a bushing.

For being able to play around with axle offset, that’s easy. But its also the furthest departure from this design direction. Playing with axle location relative to fixed/soft pivots, it looks like it can already do that.

There’s probably a really good way with this design to make it so that the roll center of the truck is clearly marked, which would make things a lot easier to follow as you make changes externally to the truck, like through mounting, changing angles, or suspension. Roll center has a huge impact on the feel once you put it on a deck, but can sometimes be hard to consider when just looking at the truck.

3 Likes

raises hand i like how one bushing looks but id rather have all 6 as then you have 6 specific spots to tune the resistances on, and also, I think the one bushing setup would affect the ride in a way I didn’t like. It would kind of negate the separate kingpin action. That said, I dont particularly see the benefit of the middle one.
That suspension up there @Fosterqc is the most interesting thing ive seen in this thread so far, BTW.

1 Like

I personally like the idea to use “standard” bushings in row on these truck system. Modular and easy imo…go for it Quinn! This idea is very very good. Dont really know where and how so far but this is somehow interesting :arrow_right:

4 Likes

Relevant info. I think to Apex Air stuff too maybe will link in the tuning thread.

5 Likes

forgot to link this.

7 Likes

This is a very good start. A modified BN adjustable baseplate would work.

1 Like

I want to try making an apex air baseplate that fits the BN adjustable base.

I measured and found the Kingpin center distance on the AA is 1.7in/43.3mm.

One more separate project that I wanted to do involving the BN adj base is something like the Freebord 5-X suspension. but using 8 total skate bushings or 4 per hanger. Could be prototyped without that base but might as well put it on there. I had another idea to make the bushings compressed more like a channel truck and share a kingpin in the middle, three in a row horizontal relative normal PKP.

1 Like

Crazy cool so far, bro…go on go on go on ahahhahaha
I love it.

honestly thats my favoriteone yet, mostly because i just think it looks really clean, but also because of how it would sit on my board. if i left them straight, itd stick out enough that i could lower this thing without any risk of wheelbite, and while i love my little monster truck, i do want a board thats NOT like 8 inches off the ground sometimes. plus, i imagine theyd make for some clean carving.

2 Likes

I was thinking the other night and you could also use two more bushings instead of the extra rod end. Would be more expensive for mostly not needed additional bushing adjustment.

Although thinking about it, the SRB NKP is quite a pain to adjust with the small rods locking onto the shaft in the way, so another bushing to change might be nice.

I realized writing that that my design you are replying to does not have the issue of rods in the way of adjustment… therefore making my point about another bushing being nice irrelevant.

Regardless I think the are the truck takes up being small just like the APEX PKP is cool, Could allow narrow wheels like a RKP.

talking about area, I think a hyper small truck could be made with a single 10mm rod end and a bushing stack/kingpin in the horizontal position. Then that in the BN adjustable baseplate. Small like the SRB V5 raceboard but mounting on any deck.

3 Likes

i agree, however i LOVE wide trucks, so id want very long axels on that design regardless. i know it doesnt REALLY add any more stability, but it feels like it does to me. specifically i like narrow back trucks and wide front, but thats based on a very specific bias i developed when one of my back wheels rolled away while i was riding, and narrow back trucks made it so that i didnt really notice until acceleration stopped working. 3 wheels was enough to roll on, in that layout.

1 Like

Would the extra 2 bushings have a shock dampening effect?

1 Like

llmao this fits there theme here.

I really wonder why we have not seen a dkp design with rkp geometry like in pic… no idea.

I like this modular bolt together truck, nice rail system for attaching parts too.

I think I would like a general interesting truck design thread, making a new category for each new type I find may get old…

2 Likes

I think the geometry of it just works out better for TKP… You need some meat where the kingpin attaches.

Also, I’m really not digging the double kingpin truck term. That’s sooo… non-descriptive and confusing.
There’s loads of designs that have multiple kingpins going on.

I really think series kingpin and parallel kingpin make so much more sense.

Of course Voxter falls in the queenpin category.

1 Like