Ownboard Zeus Discussion

If anyone wants to upgrade the Old Zeus esc to the Zeus Pro :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Hey guys. Finally some sunny days here and got to ride my original Zeus a bit more.

I know about all the issues plaguing it-waiting for the new ESC if it will do any good.

Felt the battery sag pretty strong today…my first low voltage warning happened at 25% battery left after just 28km ridden, mostly in mode 3, some in 2…so not to much stress for the pack…although I didn’t start with a full charge because of the overcurrent braking issue that could get me running downhill without brakes.

I was wondering for a while now…has anyone here opened the original Zeus’s battery pack to check the cell manufacturer?

From the online community I know that in there it’s supposed to be the Panasonic ncr21700t cells aka Tesla model 3 cells…but that was never stated in any official stats of the board, just mentioned in reviews etc…

I am thinking…could there be even weaker cells inside the pack…cause a voltage sag of this level certainly could indicate a lower grade cell?

and if so, could the new ESC programmed for higher discharge/charge(acceleration/braking) in this possible case cause even more and a sooner voltage sag?

Any thoughts on this?

The sag issue is pretty well known with those “tesla” cells

Typically I’ve seen people run those in 6P configs or higher here on the forum

1 Like

Wow that was fast :love_you_gesture::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:…well I guess I will see once I change the ESC…if it brakes better It’s worth the extra money…
I had a chance to try the Hurricane for a bit…wooow…night and day(og zeus vs Hurricane) turbo on the Zeus is like 3 on the Hurricane…

Lol yeah the Zeus pro is what many people probably wanted the zeus to be

probably depends on the viewpoint…could be, should be,…

But yeah agree, most people me included expected something fitting the nametag :zap::man_shrugging::wink:

1 Like

I have 12s8p and 12s7p. I’d say 8p is the minimum for tm3 cells.

4 Likes

Just installed the Zeus pro esc on the og zeus. It solved all the complaints everybody have about the acceleration and braking. I’mjust concerned because the new esc runs much hotter and I don’t know how the Tesla cells will hold up with the settings that’s designed for Molicels. Just have to bring it for a long test ride and find out

6 Likes

Do we even know how many amps these new hobbywing ESCs pull? I think someone said its limited to what the molicel m50a can pull, so if these “tesla” batteries can pull the same amount safely as that cell then I wouldn’t imagine there would be more load.

first gen zeus 18a…new one 25a each side

Just as an update to my prior questions about modifying the ESC enclosure, just purchased an old first gen ESC and heatsink to try on. Heres hoping i can entirely remove the old PCB and get a better fit/performance. Im thinking that by not having an entire old pcb underneath i can at the very least fill that space with a copper shim and thermal pads to push a vesc further without worrying about overheating.

Also have purchased a set of xcell axle adapters to run 12mm bearings, and a set of xcell spyder xt hubs and tires, so ill let you guys know how that all fits when it comes in haha.

3 Likes

Hey there are you sure about the 25Amps? There is a post in the Ownboard Fb group from a user saying there is a sticker on his new ESC saying 2 x 18Aamps.

Hey everyone just want to drop some thoughts on the new ESC etc…

I am still waiting for the new ESC, so can’t talk about performance gains…

I am following all the posts here, Yt and Fb…

So a guy in the Fb group says his new ESC has a sticker on it saying 2 x 18Amps the old ESC didn’t have any specs on it.

The other thing I am still questioning is:

1. All off our Og Zeus’s are probably out of warranty by now, at least mine is.

2. If there are really the Tesla(Panasonic ncr21700t) cells in our Og Zeus’s then those should be even sligtly better(if in good condition-salvaged cells) vs the M50A Molicells. So the new Esc programming shouldn’t do any harm to longevity of the pack.

3. Although because of the Og Zeus ESC programming, which in my opinion was not a mistake and that’s why Ownboard was not admiting it was because it was probably intentionally like it was due to the battery pack its conected to.
    To explain my thoughts, I still doubt that our Og Zeus’s have the Panasonics aka Tesla cells in there until someone proves me wrong or untill Ownboard officially states that on their website etc…as of now they only officially state just the 21700 cells.

4. If there are weaker than the Panasonics cells in there, then it’s probably some standard 21700 ones that usually have around 10Amp max continuous discharge current rates. In this case the combo with the newly programmed ESC would probably be a death sentence for the packs longevity.

5. As all of our boards are out of warranty, someone would probably be pretty happy about it(could that be a reason why being so hesitant to release the new ESC to all Og Zeus’s users/customers)?

6. I know they are still selling the Og Zeus, so there is a little doubt to my theory…but I think no one is probably buying the Og Zeus in the presence of the Pro and all the negative publicity about tho Og Zeus.

7. I was actually banned on one of the main social media groups(no explanation given when asking why) when I started talking about the battery question and the esc to much…I was actually banned until the exact day my warranty ran out…maybe a coincidence, I don’t know…will just leave it out here…

The above mentioned reasons are why I am still questioning the Og Zeus and the ESC issue…will be kinda cautious with the new ESC also…a battery cutout midride wouldn’t be nice…

I am not claiming any of this, just take it as food for thought.

Will post again when I get the new ESC installed.

Good day to all :love_you_gesture: safe riding…

i highly doubt its the exact same cell tesla put in their car, it could be a variant of it, but not the exact same one

1 Like

Panasonic NCR21700T are supposedly the exact cell that tesla put in their cars :person_shrugging:

1 Like

I know, that’s what I’m thinking also.

If there were the Panasonic ncr21700t cells in there then that info would probably be provided on their official website in the product specs, but it’s not, why not makes me thinking…

Only yt reviewers were talking about the Tesla cells aka Panasonics…so nothing officially confirmed.

:man_shrugging:

Because :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

Ewan you are correct :+1:

Like others already said…there are variations, clones, rewraps…of the original Panasonic ncr21700t.

Like the INR21700, NCR21700A, NCR21700 Tesla …all off these lag behind the original at the continuous discharge rate area…10Amps max so to make it safe and long lasting they need to be limited(probably were in the OG Zeus) at 2/3 of the max wich is about 7Amp-ish…that would bring the pack to a max of about 30Amps max…that is not alot for those big motors…

I would low to know what my pack is carrying…already from the safety aspect…

What about going the trampa route? They make up to 22s ESC’s

Ive read part of this thread, is it still a good board to buy?

I have a g3 with cloud wheels and lookong to upgrade already.

Other boards I considered

Zeus pro
Hurricane ( ecs failing and some peoblems)
Hammer (scratch off, bad reviews of low miles reported)
Hammer sledge (no reports yet)