Ownboard Zeus Discussion

I also opted for the m50a as I’m not a speed demon either. I just like long 20-25mph cruises :call_me_hand:

Awesome!

1 Like

Wait, so does that mean if i buy the P42A battery its still current limited to the lower amperage of the M50 pack? Would i have issues trying to swap in a VESC and push the full possible power of the P42A cells?

yeah, sure seems like it. You’ll still sag much less, but if you wanna use it to its fullest potential bypass the BMS and drop in a vesc.

How hard is it to bypass the BMS? Just run a new connector straight off the battery to the VESC and im good to go right?

Yeah, pretty much

This goes without saying but be careful, don’t work on batteries if you don’t know what you’re doing, read through the relevant parts of the battery builders club if you’ve never tried this, don’t be afraid to hand it off to a professional if you’re unsure, etc.

1 Like

Awesome, thanks so much. Ordered it last night, cant wait to get mine in.

Yep, have done a bit of tinkering on my eovan but ill definitely ask around once i get it in. Any recs on the esc? Ive got stormcore 100D and Spintend as my potential choices so far.

there’s like no space in there, the ubox will 100% not fit (albeit tight). A stormcore will fit. If you like playing with fire, you can use a stormcore 60D+ on 13s. I’m in no way recommending it, but I’ve seen them survive at 13s. A 100D, which is really hard to get nowadays, is a guaranteed fit.

Paging @Venom121212 who has done this

2 Likes

Gonna try and source a 100D+ then haha, i can just run with the stock setup till then.

this doesnt exist, never will, I have no clue what this is !!!

1 Like

Mb, 100D lol

Good luck man, the enclosure lid will bulge a tiny bit making it not as water tight. The lingyi esc pcb is fully potted in with conformal coating. The heat sink bottom can’t be separated from the esc without grinding the metal walls around the esc down further than I did. Then it opens it up to moisture underneath. This was the lowest I could cut it down without exposing a hole.

Take down the conformal coating, a heat gun and sharp chopstick did a great job. Discharge the capacitors (they’ll make a little pop) and then snip them off and anything else taller than a chip. This was the only way. The stormcore is wider than that potted spot anyway so it just needs to be flush with the wall.

And don’t forget to replace/bypass the bms or set your new esc settings conservatively or it will cut out under hard accel.

2 Likes

Is it really not possible to just remove the stock esc from that heatsink? Maybe by chiseling it off bit by bit, or a crapton of heat? Or maybe just ask to buy the heatsink itself from ownboard/have one CNC’ed?

from the demo ride of the zeus pro, i don’t think you really need a vesc. It is much improved from the OG zeus. Ride it first and decide from there.

I got the M50A spec, I’m wondering if I should see if I can get my order changed to P42A’s.

I’m not a speed demon but noticeable battery sag is never nice

Where that silver line is was from me grinding the walls down. You get maybe a half mm on either side of the pcb to pry it up if you manage to get all the conformal coat out. The screws they use are cheese and you can’t push from the back so you get no leverage on the pcb to separate it from sink.

I mean, the stock esc is gonna get destroyed, and the aluminum of the heatsink should hold up to pretty much anything, why not chemically dissolve the conformal coat, or just burn it all out? The aluminum will survive and you can just get it cerakoted or whatever afterwards?

I took a heat gun to it and chipped it down to the pcb layer.

The stormcore is wider than the heat sink cutout. Even if you got the pcb fully out, the walls on the heatsink you need to leave around it are what keep water out from beneath.

Personally, if it was my board, I’d just cut those walls all the way down and epoxy the remaining heatsink in, dealing with waterproofing after it cures from the inside.

1 Like

I might end up just making a new heatsink, and expanding the hole for the heatsink to sit in the deck. I really dont like the idea of having to do all of that and potentially sacrifice water resistance haha.

1 Like