OSRR - A High Performance Open Source Racing Remote for ESK8 - [LEGACY}

Oh no. The transition into vendor has begun. It starts small with a logo, but next thing you know he will be telling us to stop vendor bashing Mike Beard because quote “Shipping and fulfillment is hard you guys.”

I, for one, support this metamorphosis Andrew. Especially if it means that you can sell me an OSRR sooner :wink:

15 Likes

It’s “Mr. Dresner” now.

11 Likes

I’m gonna go tell his CEO he’s being rude.

@DerelictRobot your employee Andrew is rude and a racist toward Texans. Just thought I should let you know that you have someone like that working for you.

9 Likes

Hey… im with @DerelictRobot. Fuck texans…(that dont Esk8)

8 Likes

7 Likes

his name is @SeanHacker

4 Likes

@Bobby I had parentheses blindness for a second, and thought,
…oh, We cool, we cool.

@DerelictRobot think you might have these for sale beyond betamales come Portland time frame? :kissing_heart:

4 Likes

I’m going to shoot for March/April.

Delays have happened on a few fronts but it’s all for the greater good.

4 Likes

are you at a point where you are comfortable sharing what you plan to have on offer?

3 Likes

He made a thread about it here:

Post #450 is a doozy.

5 Likes

State your demands, gypsy.

1 Like

no demands. clearly a lot of time and development has gone into the OSRR and my presumption is some adjustments have been made along the way that we not captured in thread. I was wondering where the final package is landing (i see it, go ahead do what you must)

e.g: in April OSRR kits will be available and include x,y,z end user prints their own case
or
we will also provide a fully assembled option at a premium, i dont like building these but if you’re willing to wait and pay extra @SeanHacker will assemble an OSRR and carry it around for a week like a penguin with an egg before sending it your way

8 Likes

You mean I’ll get some of those precious tears on my very own osrr? :smiling_imp: Give me your tears gypsy

8 Likes

This has happened more often then not. Testing… it’s called testing…

6 Likes

Well, since you asked so nicely!

So here’s where we are at; overall the beta testing has gone really well.

Nobody died, so there’s that. Go us.

There were some minor issues (slow current leak) with the off-the-shelf adafruit power module I used because of my inherent laziness, and 2 people got batteries that didn’t perform as they should. Overall battery life on the beta units left something to be desired, but I didn’t spend any time in power-saving features so between the radio going full blast & the LCD being on all the time, the battery drained in about 4-5 hours of constant on-time use, which isn’t great. All of this has been resolved with a completely redesigned power stage/charging circuit on the final hardware though, so it’s a moot point now.

Given about 25 remotes in the wild we’ve made great progress in testing & updating firmware over the last 6-8 months. AFAIK, I’m not sure that anyone reported any connection issues of any kind.

During this beta testing, discussions with our lovely friend @Deodand as well as the introduction of the Trampa WAND, I decided to make some pretty major hardware changes in regards to the radios being used in order to align things for compatibility/future proofing. I also didn’t want to abandon the work we’d already done on the existing beta hardware nor the accessibility that it being Arduino-based brings as a hackable platform (NRF is not arduino-based at all, and pretty difficult development wise so not nearly as easily accessible to modify).

OSRR Pro will theoretically be VESC-NRF Dongle compatible running in UART only mode even, and inverse the Wand could pair to an OSRR based receiver.

From this I’ve ended up with forking the hardware, creating 2 distinct models of the OSRR. One thing to note is that OSRR is just the name of the remote technology platform in general, not any one remote. Remote variations themselves I’ll name individually (HMP, The Bruce, etc), with everything being ‘OSRR based’ in the same way we’ve got a number of different ESCs running VESC firmware.

OSRR Pro (Open Source but not as accessible to program)

• NRF52840 based Radio/SoC (Fanstel 840F, high-power version).
  • IoD-09 LCD w/ WiFi/SD Card (existing high quality color LCD youve seen pictured)
  • High-end industrial thumbwheel (unchanged)
  • 3x size battery
  • USB-C, single PCB design, more compact.
  • Receiver is UART + PWM. (UART for telemetry, dual PWM output).
  • One Remote, multiple boards, etc.
  • Optional external antenna on receiver.
  • WiFi AP Config Menu
  • Estimated retail price: $200~
  • Nylon-SLS printed case, finished.

OSRR-DIY (Hackable open platform)

• Arduino based SAMD21 CPU + Xbee3 Radio
  • IoD-09 LCD w/ WiFi/SD card or OLED Monochrome.
  • DIY open remote platform. Add your own thumbwheel(s) and/or trigger(s), buttons, custom enclosure.
  • Sold as ready-to-print & assemble kit. Intend to have a couple different enclosures for people to start with.
  • High-end industrial thumbwheel available optionally.
  • All other features are identical to the OSRR 1.0.
  • Retail Price $75-150 depending on options.

Other exciting news:

@torqueboards was an early OSRR beta supporter and while we will have a lot more to share in the coming months, I wanted to share that Torqueboards has come on-board as a sponsor offering resources to push project development forward. This means in the very near future I’ll be bringing two additional engineers (friends & colleagues of mine in the robotics world) to assist in pushing the OSRR project forward (and a few other new things in the works).

Big thanks to Dexter for contributing to open source esk8 development! He will also have some new stuff to share on this topic in the coming months. :wink:

40 Likes

Rad thanks for the through and rapid response! If i may be so bold as to file an early PFR

1. begin the process so you may rock the Registered Trademark “OSRR®”

:grinning:

really impressive work looking forward to purchasing in March/April

4 Likes

Appreciate the suggestion, but I’ve already chosen to take a different approach to the project.

My intention is that it be a community-based open source project, so I’ve already transferred ownership of the code repository, 3d models, & wiki for the existing OSRR project to the OS Esk8 Alliance, which is a jointly owned/shared Open Source Github Organization comprised of similarly minded developers from within our community.

OSRR is published under a GPL GNU v3 license, which is a free public license. I have no intention of trademarking OSRR as the underlying technology platform, as it’s to be publicly owned.

17 Likes
2 Likes

Is there a .stl to the remote files we could use to print them out and see which ones work for us?

1 Like

In the Github repo I linked above, here’s the direct link:

There are also Fusion360 links in the README for the full 3D remote model assembly.

7 Likes