OSRR - A High Performance Open Source Racing Remote for ESK8 - [LEGACY}

Blablabla!

Can’t you just take my money?

6 Likes

NO PRE-ORDERS!

9 Likes

But I hope you at least add on 30% on top of the final price to do the community a favor …

12 Likes

It’ll be an auction for a full-price pre-order, 48-72 months lead time advertised as same day shipping.

170% restocking fee.

You know, Potter-Style.

16 Likes

Money in the bank. Shorty whatchu drank…

5 Likes

No 378% money-back guarantee? Hack.

5 Likes

Waiting for the robot world tour :clap::raised_hands:

4 Likes

The robot ruckus! All visitors get a swag bag and a drink ticket

8 Likes

Hmmmm…Dongatastic news!

I made inroads to a special edition in homage

13 Likes

The IRS will kill ya for holding that going down the road.

At least nobody will mistake it for a gun, a pisstol maybe.

1 Like

This is the main thing I really care about. Remotes require a special kind of trust that they wont kill you at any moment. Its like if your wife was a polar bear, you would need to have 100% trust that she wouldn’t rip your face off and eat you if she was in a bad mood.

I am wondering about how the two different radios compare in terms of signal robustness?

Will they have PCB antennas or the option for external whip antennas?

The other thing that interests me is that the thumb wheel has some sort of water proof rating right?

7 Likes

my wife is not a polar bear but i live in constant debilitating fear of this exact scenario.

19 Likes

You are not alone friend…

8 Likes

Do we need to start a support group now? I can make the coffee

12 Likes

Are you guys seriously talking about fucking polar bears in my thread or did I gloss over some details?

Carry on I guess.

Between the specific models I’ve been testing (xbee s2c, Xbee3, Fanstel 840F) they all perform similarly.

This is actually one of the reasons I went with the Fanstel 840 series- they have a couple different variants with u.FL connections for external antennas + amplifier options even. All drop-in footprints. I’ll continue to test on these, waiting for a new round of hardware and I’ll be able to dig in more

So far the 840F has held up great, but I intended on offering a receiver with an external antenna option.

Good question on IP rating on thumbwheel, it’s probably the most water resistant component on the entire remote outside of the case. I’m not sure the company wanted to call them water-anything, but from an internal design standpoint the rear of the module is completely potted, and the internal wheel mechanism is a 3-axis hall effect sensor and some magnets, everything electronic being encased.

PS: new receiver hardware design has 2x PWM output and uart for telemetry only, by default. Can still run uart only mode if needed, but wanted to keep things flexible and a bit more cross compatible with different remotes.

Also adding an SD card slot for always-on logging. :wink:

11 Likes

This time just send @Brenternet’s allocation to me, okay? We know he does the desk drawer test very well.

9 Likes

Is this for that remote redundancy I keep reading about?

8 Likes

This is great because I want to be able to ride in the rain without holding my remote under my shirt behind my back. I can conformal coat the PCB etc to make that waterproof but normally you can’t easily water proof the potentiometer.

So the thumbwheel should work under water, be cool to do an experiment where you extend the wires to the remote and then use the thumbwheel in a glass of water. If that works it could be really good for the e-foil guys.

3 Likes

Uhhhh. I would not make that assumption before we can do some actual testing. I would call it water resistant in theory only. But so far many thousands of miles on a few different OSRRs through PNW fall/winter without issue.

The battery + the LCD are the biggest concerns for water, but I’ll have some more info on a more robust/minimalist variant after I get the primary models launched. There’s been a consistent call for a screenless, fully potted version I’d like to explore.

6 Likes

I get that. That’s why I suggested some testing.

Pouch lipo’s are practically water proof as is, just a bit of coating where the wires are soldered to the tabs is all that is needed. LCD’s though are very tricky to water proof.

bahaha, who changed my title?

10 Likes