OSRR - A High Performance Open Source Racing Remote for ESK8 - [LEGACY}

Me too. 1.0 prototype hardware is already considerably more power efficient, beta hardware has about 5-6 hours of constant runtime (though charges fully in 40min). Thirsty high power radios & LCDs.

5 Likes

god i hope this remote is good. otherwise, I’d have to buy @Kellag’s puck :face_vomiting:

5 Likes

The $75 thumbwheel is still doing all the heavy lifting.

6 Likes

U mothafucker

3 Likes

You people with normal sized penises can hold the puck just fine, but i got tiny hands

3 Likes

PS: There are no more beta remotes. Please stop messaging me and/or threatening me with blackmail.

Nobody wants to see my dick pics anyway @BillGordon so just post them already. Pussy ass bitch.

12 Likes

It’s really small

7 Likes

PPM is to Hoyt
UART is to OSRR

No disconnects so far. Very linear and smooth.

2 Likes

Any changes / further consideration to the actual Tx / Rx hardware?

Do you have an Australian tester?

1 Like

11 Likes

4 Likes

Holy shit want the app so bad

5 Likes

Then you can connect to that tightbutthole

4 Likes

Day time view of the screen. Pretty easy to see while riding!

8 Likes

Haven’t announced anything because testing hasn’t completed, but so far it looks like we will be switching over to an NRF52840 based radio solution, which is the same radio SoC technology used in the Wand. The Fanstel 840F module I have spec’d and testing has higher tx/rx power + external antenna options.

These are the same base power as the Xbee series radios we’ve been testing, and are very similarly featured.

Why change when the existing Xbee S2C/3 radios used in beta are working just fine?

• Based on initial testing the newer modules I’m testing are on par in performance at less cost. Potentially higher performance with external antenna options.
  • It would lay further foundation for unifying the radio technology being used in esk8.
  • OSRR receivers could work with Trampa Wand and vice versa.
  • One radio module to handle Bluetooth app connection + ESC receiver (simultaneously, safely).

No Australian testers yet. You guys have some answering to do for the War Criminal JayJay Potsy before I’m lifting sanctions.

8 Likes

He turned out to be a bit of a dick under pressure. Most people do. Luckily a Titanic vs Iceberg event I managed to avoid and only observe from afar.

There’s your answer. Now, I’ll put up my hand to test OSRR vs the infamous 5G repeater that’s brought me down twice in two weeks.

5 Likes

To explain:

Over the weekend we pushed a “final beta” firmware update that more or less completes the beta hardware for now. I’ll be focusing all future dev efforts on 1.0 hardware/firmware. With that said, a good amount of the work we’ve done in beta will be rolled forward to the final version so not all is lost.

What does the update do? We added a simple config menu option so that wheel diameter + gear ratios can be updated without reflashing firmware. If the throttle is held in a full brake position during startup the remote goes into a Setup Mode. The remote self-hosts a Wi-Fi Access Point + simple webapp that you can connect to with any smartphone or computer. It pulls up the config menu shown and saves the values to eeprom, which are then loaded when the remote is restarted.

The 1.0 version will likely keep a config option similar to this.

PS: config mode can only happen from a cold bootup. You won’t be broadcasting a WiFi AP as you’re riding, because battery life + safety.

11 Likes

I intend on finding some local 5G repeaters and a suitable spectrum analyzer to do some testing. As these are going to be popping up more and more I’d prefer to be well aware of their potential impacts.

@Kellag hasn’t died yet though. He’s the OSRR Beta official Canary in a Cage.

8 Likes

Cool bananas, just be aware that different countries use different frequencies and technology vendors, so local testing around the world would be more comprehensive for verification.

4 Likes

Well aware, variety in environment and application was one of my reasons for making the effort to get beta testers outside of the US onboard.

Final 1.0 remote hardware & firmware will still go through it’s own round of beta testing prior to launch, so there will be a few more beta slots open then.

1 Like