Onsra 115mm airless wheel quick review.

So I will preface by saying my deck is aluminum with rubber risers, so it rides rough to begin with, but the responsiveness and road feel is exactly what I was aiming for. I have gone from 80mm > 90mm > 97mm > TB AT kit > 120mm cloudwheels > onsra 115mm

So I saw these wheels on someone’s reddit post and heard decent things, so i decided to say screw it and just pick up a pair. I ordered from esk8usa and they are shipped from Hong Kong with DHL. I was suprised they only took a week to get to me given the state of the world right now.

Out of the box, the quality seems legit. There was a small nick on one of the sidewalls from the molding process, but nothing im concerned about. They are a pretty deep-dish style wheel on the outside, but have plenty of space on the inside for my TB kegel pulley to fit onto the metal cores. After some cursing and hissy fits I got the pulleys on centered pretty close to perfect.

First ride was 5 miles so far. And I have to say I’m fully convinced these are the best wheels I’ve purchased. Roll resistance isn’t bad at all for rubber wheels. Shock absorbtion is at least 50%+ better than my cloud wheels. I raced around the block a couple of times and they GRIP corners. Like you can hear that the rubber is sticky to the road if that makes sense. They roll super smooth, and VERY quiet compared to thane.

As i said, im only 5 miles in, so longevity is still up to be judged. But so far I’m very happy with them.

Comparing them to clouds, I reccomend these over clouds at the moment. Sure they are a bit expensive, but my opinion stands.

4 Likes

I think these are the kind of wheels where they run nice but they just go bald fast?

1 Like

Time will tell. Thats my main concern with these. The rubber seems hard enough that they should last awhile. Nowhere near the longevity of thane though.

@Blise518B also has bought them and his review was quite negative. Unless he was talking about the 105mm wheels, despite being asked if they were the 115. :confused:

1 Like

I did read his thread about the pulley fitment issues, however I don’t see how bolt on pulleys like TB should ever be an issue. I personally never use modular pulleys with my builds because I’ve had a pulley fail when its bearing blew out while going 20mph. I trust my zealous bearings over any pulley with a 8-10mm pulley bearing. From my personal experience, I’ve put thousands and thousands of miles with the TB pulley / zealous bearing combo with zero issues, so i tend to stick with that.

On the other hand, if esk8usa’s site says all kegel pulleys will fit, they should take that down. This is DIY, theres so many different pulleys out there, if its not a true kegel core, you run a risk of there being a few MM difference in spacing between the holes, just like in that person’s thread.

I was talking about the 115mm. The problem with them is the wrong core hole spacing. I have high quality CNC pulleys that fit in all Kegel cores so far but the holes are not right in this wheel. I needed to drill out the holes to make them bigger with a 6,2mm drill witch is not a standard size so most people have to get a special drill for that.

Now that they are finally on my board. I have to say they ride pretty good. Definitely better than the foamies and I don’t have to be worried about the core breaking again. Range takes a 20-30% hit tough.

Bolt on pulleys without support bearing are to weak for my style of riding and destroy the bearings and wheels.

1 Like

Just mentioned above there is a chance of very slight differences between true kegel cores and clones. Seems that was your main issue and I’m glad you were able to fix it.

How’s the range compared to the cloudwheels? I didn’t do a range test on mine when I had them installed. I will say im way more confident in hard corners compared to the clouds because the contact patch being much wider.

Well if you talk about CNC parts even a little bit off means it won’t fit. I really liked the Cloud wheels because they did not really impact my range but still had a pretty good feeling and even some AT capability.

After they broke I tried to find a good replacement. RS 110 are super hard and have bad grip on street but are decent on dirt. TB 110 and abec 107 are great for street but really struggle on dirt and in wet conditions but they all have pretty compatible range.

Now the 115mm rubber are by far the softest non pneumatic wheels I ever used. The are awesome at dampening bad roads but they are worse than any of the other wheels in efficiency. Foamies had a lot better efficiency but worse dampening.

Grip was never really an issue for me because I have a high speed straight driving setup and usually don’t really carve or take fast corners. The only time grip was bad is in wet conditions. Then I think flat wheels like the TB110 are super bad and everything that has some kind of tread is better.

Didn’t you also say the contact patch was really narrow? :face_with_raised_eyebrow: Oh well, I guess if grip is good, grip is good :upside_down_face:

Guess we should all just die then

Why not put a better support bearing and another spacer in if you don’t trust the bearing-supported pulley?

These wheels intrigue me, I rode a different set of ones like these and they felt great. They were a 90mm version - the only downside I saw was the range cut and I’m pretty sure they would wear quickly

However, I’ve never like destroyed a wheel before so hard to say

I have a set of ownboard press fit pulleys that have 2 10mm bearings in them. Didnt fit my setup but I would totally use them, they look solid. I dont like how the press fits make you need alot of axle space.

1 Like

I mean if you already have the axle space so it doesn’t matter - for example on mine, I needed to put a spacer there anyway, so the press fit pulley allowed me to only use washers for it

I used to run bolt on pulleys but with the pulley being so far away from the bearings of the wheel the forces try to destroy the bearings (my experience).

Since I use the pulleys with support bearings I never had any issues anymore. I run 3x zealous integrated spacer bearings per wheel. By coincidence the spacing is just right to have 2 bearings in the wheel and the support bearing from the pulley just fits exactly when I add a third zealous in it.

2 Likes

How’s the range ?
I modified my setup going from 97 Evolve street to these Onsra 115 ones, I changed other components as well but overall noticed a loss of almost 50% in range which is kind of insane …

Are the wheel cores metal?

Yes

1 Like

I wonder if these are the best semi AT choice for people with 2WD direct drives. I currently have 75kv DDs and really want to run with bergs but apparently it’s a no go. Maybe these bridge the gap, assuming there wouldn’t be issues with the DD kegel adapters?

1 Like

I managed to install TB kegel pullies, I needed to drill 5 holes and enlarge them by about 0.5mm through the existing metal core holes of the Onsra wheels. It worked pretty well I must say.
I am however, still testing the range, which seems to be the most affected by the change.

2 Likes

You mentioned you changed other components, what other changes did you make? ( just to guage how much of the range change is due to the wheels themselves)

So, I changed several things. To be honest, I need to re-check this change again with street 97 wheels for comparison (oranges to oranges comparison :slight_smile:)
My previous setup was 12" street trucks with 97 wheels, 15/33T gearing.
New setup: MBS matrix trucks 16", Onsra 115 wheels, 15/40T gearing.

2 Likes