Archived: the OG noob question thread! 😀

im super sorry brother, sometimes VESCs work and sometimes they laugh at you while they dont work.

Feels like just about everything is laughing

2 Likes

I’ve broken real Calibers so trusting clones would be really difficult for me :grinning:

6 Likes

Hi, I bought dickyho’s 10S 60A BMS with the combined charge/discharge port and I am having trouble figuring out how to attach wires. The BMS comes with two short, 10 AWG wires that poke out of P- and B-, but as you can see, I need to split the P- wire to charge and discharge. I was wondering if the only way to split the P- wire is to solder on two more 10 AWG wires to make a fork shape or if there is some connector that can do the job. Also, what size wires should I use for the two wires that come out of P-?

Ok, I promise I’ve been thinking about this issue for a few days now so I’m not trying to spam you guys, but I just had a revelation. Am I supposed to attach one male XT60 connecting P- and last cell positive and connect it to the ESC female XT60 when I want to discharge and connect it to the charger female XT60 when I want to charge?

Try throwing up a post here:

1 Like

That’s one way to do it. You could also just have things connected like that diagram you posted - It’s correct. There’s no need to unplug the battery from the rest of the board to charge it as long as you’ve got some kind of power switch (such as a loop key) to keep the vesc from draining the pack while it’s not in use.

You don’t need 10AWG for charging, only for discharging. So you can use one 10AWG for discharging, and one ~18AWG (anything around 14-16-18 is fine) for charging. It’s easiest to do these types of “Y” connections where wires meet connectors, rather than splicing in the middle of wires.

The discharge wire (the one that goes to the ESC) should be 10AWG. The charge wire (the one going to your charge port) can be much smaller, since your charger only delivers a fraction of what the battery can deliver during discharge.

Alrighty so I managed to scrounge up a connector for the comm port on my unity…
a) should I use the receiver’s pwm output or the uart tx connection for throttle?
b) if I use the pwm signal, do I even need to connect tx?

btw, if anyone needs to purchase a jst-ph 7 pin connector for their esc, I managed to pillage mine off of this parallel adapter (apologies for canadian amazon). I just snipped the clip off the board end of the cable and it fits fine.

A: Depends on if you want telemetry or not.

B: No.

1 Like

So just to clarify, I can’t use pwm for throttle and the rx pin for telemetry?
It seems easier just to use rx&tx anyway so I’ll probably do that…

Thank you!

1 Like

I don’t think the vesc can do two different coms protocols at once, so no I don’t think using uart and pwm at the same time is a thing. Pick one, and get to riding.

1 Like

Remember to fuse your charge port.

2 Likes

Should do, yes. Would be able to break even, not selling here.

1 Like

Has anyone some real world experiences about the MBS T1 vs T3 tires?

I currently have the T1 tires and might be able to get the T3 or stay at T1 again.

1 Like

The t3 are a nice hybrid for offroad and on but they both wear out too quickly for my liking.

I like these. Amazon has a nice road slick version as well that comes out to around the same price with free shipping. It’s listed a few posts below this one.

2 Likes

Good to know. I’m quite happy with the t1 tires so far. Wear and tear isn’t as bad (only have about 1.1k km on it though) Only thing that i don’t like is that my rear slides more than i want in mud (T3’s might be better?) I’ve had a bad batch from mbs and they will replace mine, thats why i’m asking if it would make sense to upgrade to T3 (if they are willing to do that)

Also the ali listing says the item isn’t available at all.
Edit : well now it shows it…

1 Like

Ive had a bad batch from mbs before as well. I believe it was the t1. I’d go for the t3 if they’re offering to replace.

2 Likes

Is there someone around germoney who can fix a faulty red phase wire(got cogging on motor on one side and its the phase wire that causes the problem) of a chinese esc ???
Maybe @seaborder ?

1 Like

Using clones is like fucking a rubber doll in the whorehouse :smirk:

6 Likes