Archived: the OG noob question thread! 😀

Hey I know some electrical things! I think I only fried one Arduino Mega and cooked an alligator clip off a wire getting this test lift rig put together:

2 Likes

well then damn me

i @ ed the wrong person lol
@whaddys we are in the same boat :rofl:
Sorry @wafflejock!!!

I take the oputunity to ask another question though haha
i have 2 builds, 1 mtb, 1 street/at build both with gear drives
which vesc would you use for the mtb

• Unity
  • OG Focbox 1.7

0 voters

cheers!

2 Likes

While I agree with @glyphiks and @professor_shartsis in principle, they seem to have overlooked the fact that you have a 50A vesc4.12. That is your limiting factor, not the motor or battery. With that controller, I wouldn’t set the battery current any higher than 40-50, and wouldn’t set the motor current higher than 60-75 at most. That vesc just isn’t built for any more power - they were designed for cheapness, not thermal performance. No heatsink, and no practical way to add one.

2 Likes

true— the hardware limits file in the firmware of a 4.12 vesc has lower battery and motor limits than a vesc 6— likely 50a or 60a bat per vesc and 120a motor per vesc, but it won’t be able to sustain these limits continuously as heat build up will likely lead to thermal throttling if those current limits are sustained

1 Like

Touche :ok_hand: what would we do without you :joy:

3 Likes

How does that power switch on the COMM port of the VESC 6 MK III work? Which cables do I have to use and where do they connect to?

1 Like

@PixelatedPolyeurthan If you do have special current limits, you can use this one

instead which is CC/CV instead of just CV like the other one I linked above. But this one doesn’t have mounting holes :imp: Aside from no way to mount it besides wrapping it in foam and cramming it in there, this one is very very good.

CC/CV = Continuous Current, then Continuous Voltage as load lowers (just like a lithium charger)
CV = Continuous Voltage

1 Like

@trampa 28jasons

1 Like

Lead acid 12v batteries also have 4 cells in them already(maybe 5 I don’t remember).

1 Like

Six. 2v/cell.

3 Likes

The “12V” LiFePO4 batteries are 4S. Which makes them actually 14.6V.

The 12V Pb ones are 6S as @MysticalDork noted

2 Likes

i thought lifepo4 was 3.2v /cell so 12.8v

1 Like

3.2v nominal, 3.6v full charge.

3 Likes

please double check my math for TBDD motor Kv calculation

ERPM: 40334
Pole Pair: 14
Volts: 46.8
Duty: 94.9%
(40334/(28 x 46.8 x .949)) = 64.86 Kv

are you in bldc? its inappropriate to test kv in foc.

3 Likes

foc

10char

switch to bldc & repeat

1 Like

ack thanks

They charge to 3.65V