Archived: the OG noob question thread! šŸ˜€

Id just cut the temp sensor lead (or remove it from the JST connector), I rarely run them.

2 Likes

How do you find the motor beta value for the temp sensors?

Thanks @b264ā€¦ Very detailed answer.

You mentioned I should go with 140kv if I run sensored and with big wheels. Could you explain that for me as I would think bigger wheels would require bigger Kv?

Thank you very much, very appreciated

@RAZerBlade Bigger wheels will need more torque to move at the same speeds. Less kv=more torque

2 Likes

Thank you @Flasher! I will need to read more about KV and itĀ“s effect on performance. Will go through the search function and come back in some days. (if anyone has a great link on that topic would highly appreciate that).

Best regards

2 Likes

If you havenā€™t, maybe start here?

Thereā€™s a section about kv ratings

1 Like

So I bought these cheap velcro cinch straps to hold my enclosure temporarily and a couple of the loops have broken already from riding. I JB welded one of the broken loops already and will test it later to see if it worked or not.

@b264 youā€™re the JB weld guy - do you think putting a coating of JB weld on the loops as reinforcement would be a good idea to prevent any more of them from breaking?

Just replace the plastic loops with good zip ties lol.
Likely the jb weld will hold and it will just brake where the jbweld ends.

1 Like

OMG zip ties thatā€™s a good idea. Iā€™m gonna rename this fucker Zipper cause itā€™s made out of zipties

1 Like

JB Weld is more like concrete, itā€™s great under compression but not as good under tension. If you used zip-ties as suggested above itā€™d be better I think

1 Like

If you REALLY need it to hold, you can get U-bolts at Home Depot for a buck each. I use them for broken tow straps occasionally

3 Likes

just curious - what types of adhesive work well against tensile forces?

Not sure but sometimes I put JB Weld on cloth or string or other things

Steel and bolts are great for tensile, @ZachTetraā€™s idea is gold

2 Likes

This is probably the best, hella cheap and low profile. Once its secure you can just dab some loctite on the threads so it stays forever
https://www.homedepot.com/p/National-Hardware-3-16-in-Zinc-Plated-Quick-Link-3150BC-3-16-QUICK-LINK/204606887?MERCH=REC--NavPLPHorizontal1_rr--NA--204606887--N

Iā€™m a little slow sometimes; Iā€™m not sure Iā€™m seeing how to implement these on the plastic loops? wouldnā€™t I need to effectively replace the entire loop with two of those u-bolts with something connecting them on the top and bottom to make an entirely new metal loop?

Anywhere you see a plastic loop, cut it and put a metal chain connector in its place. They have the same size and shape, but easily 100x the strength

Edit: its just a 1 to 1 replacement, go to your hardware store and look for something similar that has the same interior length (long straight sections) as the width of the strap

2 Likes

cool, Iā€™ve got some ideas now on how to make a new loop, thanks!

1 Like

How do you record gifs you can upload?

I assume thereā€™s an app for that

1 Like

I just got a pixel 3A and it has a ā€œmotion photoā€ option in the camera app that captures some frames and can save/export that out as a gif. Imagine there are also apps to do the conversion though.

2 Likes