Archived: the OG noob question thread! 😀

How do you record gifs you can upload?

I assume there’s an app for that

1 Like

I just got a pixel 3A and it has a “motion photo” option in the camera app that captures some frames and can save/export that out as a gif. Imagine there are also apps to do the conversion though.

2 Likes

If you don’t mind using a desktop/laptop ffmpeg can decode and encode and do lots of other nice things with video or audio conversion. Think a few ports/UIs for mobile exist that use it under the hood as well

https://engineering.giphy.com/how-to-make-gifs-with-ffmpeg/

Hey, I just got a 3A XL myself! So far I really like it. How about you?

Thank you @Flasher

Went with the smaller one but super happy with it, upgrade from busted up nexus 5X, so super nice to be able to just take photos with a lens that isn’t broken. Overall pretty snappy too. Guess Pixel 4 is around the corner though so others may want to wait if they’re thinking about it, possibly some price drop and new options.

2 Likes

Those have 3.5mm audio jacks now, right? I might have to check those out

Yup headphone jack included. Slightly lower spec on the 3A vs 3 but at least so far haven’t found it to lag at all really (plus price I can stomach for a phone). Getting used to swiping home button for app switcher took a few days but all around pretty nice… Keeping this one in a case since does still have camera bump and utterly destroyed my last one.

1 Like

I still have the LG V30 and my gf got the V35 and I love both of them but I just broke my screen for the second time when I got wheelbite when test-riding a new skate

I might get another phone soon, not sure. But if it doesn’t have a 3.5mm jack, it’s not considered

3 Likes

I should clarify, the vesc does not by design dissipate braking power as heat. I was trying to say the extra current from the motor gets dissipated as waste heat by the vesc but my understanding is probably wrong.

In the scenario you described, once the vesc starts limiting current, doesn’t it do so by heat? Or are you saying that once the battery regen current max gets hit, the vesc stops accepting more current? Doesn’t that make the motor max brake current kinda moot?

Sorry if I’m not following. I’m legitimately trying to learn.

If the VESC dissipated braking energy as heat, it would overheat and fry rather quickly. Probably within less than 10 seconds and if you are going fast, probably even sooner.

1 Like

Best non-socket head screws for motor mounting? I’m sick of stripping heads and sockets dont go deep enough in the mounts

What’s wrong with socket head

@moon

I have no idea what that means but you can get button head, prefer socket head if its possible to use it

The sockets heads stick out from the holes so my belts is against them. I need an Amazon buying freak to send me a link to what they use that is as bullet proof as jbweld…hmm… @b264 what do you use?

You need Wera Hex Plus wrenches.

Accept no imitation. Yeah, they’re expensive. I know.

@b264 Got these coming but I’m scared they will eat the steel alloy screws I have

1 Like

They work great. As for alternatives to full socket head, you can sometimes get “low head” socket head screws - same dimensions except height, and the hex is a bit shallower. Sill preferable to button head with a smaller hex IMO, especially with Wera wrenches.

1 Like