Archived: the OG noob question thread! šŸ˜€

If you wanna try an anti spark maybe hit up @ARetardedPillow
He makes one heā€™s been running at 13s.
I have one too that im yet to install.
Think @mmaner is gonna test one soon too.

1 Like

Bestech BMSā€™s that feature a separate charging and discharging port seem to pass the regen current through the same path as the discharge. This means than they can handle a lot more (up to 80A in your case) regen current than their charge rating.
I have set my regen at 20A per vesc so a total of 40A when my BMS is limited to 20A charging with no problems.
Be careful though and do your own testing.

1 Like

Definitely not the mboards one. Its exactly the same as the diye even though Mike promised to stop selling that crap. He just buys their rubbish in bulk and sells it on to unsuspecting people.
The safest switch I have used is the luna. It will fail eventually but it fails open so no sudden loss of power to ruin your day. You are seriously better off taking @Skunk advice
Iā€™m soon to be testing out the ebmakers switch too so I will keep you posted on that.

ya im talking to @ARetardedPillow he said he can make me his antispark switch he uses, thats what skunk recommended me so i think ima go with that

2 Likes

Safest route until @b264 gets off his lazy ass and makes a bullet proof one. We need to campaign for this to happen so feel free to bombard his pm box.

1 Like

Feel like Iā€™ve been lucky with the XT-90 antispark loopkey, I only fried one so far and was due to not plugging in all the way and running the motor.

Guess I typically donā€™t draw as much current as a lot of people here just running single drive and tame settings, maybe thatā€™s the difference or just been lucky.

haha good idea

1 Like

Are we talking loop keys or actual anti spark switches here? Whats your set up?

What the hell, fuĀ“Ā“scĀ“Ā“Ā“. ThatĀ“s insaneā€¦ Why nobody does sth against them breaking the law?

Oh just loop key thought @b264 was saying they are good for only a short while maybe misunderstood though might have meant regarding antispark switches.

1 Like

How do Evolve/boosted/enertion/Wowgo etc. then have a reliable antispark?

1 Like

This Thread should be called: ā€œASK @b264ā€ :smiley:

No way are the magnets THAT STRONG? I always wondered how the brushless dc motor can create such a force just by magnetic forces. But seriously it canĀ“t be that strong, some small permanent magnets?

(sorry for 3 posts in a row, will make one post with several questions/answers next time)

This is what you want to use:

3 Likes

Yep. When I had my board (dual motor 10s4p) my maximum charging current was something like 15A per motor, but the motor maximum braking current was set to something like 50A each. The maximum charging current does affect how the brakes behave, but itā€™s complicated - not just a simple ā€œmore charging current = more brakesā€ equation.

@L3chef You should be fine, because the charging and discharging circuitry are separate. That 5A rating is through the C- pad, and the regeneration current will not be going through there. (Obviously you should test and confirm this yourself before riding down a big hill, Iā€™ve never used a Bestech BMS.)

@RAZerBlade Oh yes they can abso-fucking-lutely be that strong. Thereā€™s more magnet in there than you realize. The total force theyā€™re capable of is probably well over fifty pounds, and thatā€™s with an air gap. Plus during the assembly process the closer the halves get, the stronger the force, which pulls them closer, and the forces get stronger, in a self-reinforcing loop until they smash your finger. Believe me, it is not a fun time.

2 Likes

Can someone tell me this. Can you use any remote with a receiver to control an esk8? For example a traxxas 5 channel remote? And if so, can you control LEDs with the other channels?

Yes, any rx with a ppm output can control a vesc, and it only listens to one channel. You can use other channels to control LEDs. (I even had a setup with high/low beam headlights, and tail lights that brighten when you apply brakes. I was using a GT2B RC car remote in a custom 3d printed case.)

Other than with the photon remote I used to have, no clue how thatā€™s done. Mind explaining? :slight_smile:

This video was the day before the fire

I used an adafruit trinket (a small microcontroller) to monitor the throttle signal, and output the correct signal to an LED driver. Same microcontroller also monitored the aux channel and used that to control the high/low beams.