Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

Oh jezz I’m a huge dummy I forgot to set it on current w/ brake.
But you knows what’s weird, earlier when I tried to setup input and map the throttle, vesc tool wouldn’t even show the remote as sending signal in ppm mapping. Now it’s showing up perfectly fine… so weird. I blame this fsesc
Thank golly I ordered a stormcore
SHES ALIVEEE MWAHHH
Edit: I forgot to thank you, but I really appreciate your help. Thank ya so much

6 Likes

Yeah I had put it on PPM on both local and can when I was tryna set it up, still wasn’t getting anything.
I neglected setting it to current w/ brake, but I guess my ESC was acting up earlier as even in the remote wizard it wasn’t showing the puck as sending signal in ppm mapping.
I guess it just wants to work fine all of a sudden. Or maybe it was something w enabling current. Works now. Thank you and @xsynatic

3 Likes

Could’ve also worked. Wasn’t sure how similar they are.

I’m a bit concerned about the hole width. It seems like the rubber around the stem gets stuck and ripped off

3 Likes

is this a problem esc is spintend 75v single

bolt head snapped off while undoing it (not that much pressure) i heated it up till ti was searing hot (melted all loctite) and then tried to remove using vice grips but that just broke any thread i was trying to hold on to
any other way to remove? and if not is 2 bolts enough to hold the motor up to the gear drive?
or is it worth it to buy a tap and die and attempt to add another hole in for support?

Am I right in understanding that you’ve changed a motor for someone and in the process, put the motor pinion back on with too long of a shaft. Hence the gear is catching the outer case? Then subsequently had an issue removing the pinion and / or bolts?

2 Likes

nope my own
the bearing had broken and was causing the motor pinion to sit to high up on the shaft
i replaced the bearing (friend had a spare) and then one of the bolt heads came off
now i cant remove the bolt head (having a bad day)

Are there any motors bigger than 63100? Like 63120? I have room for bigger motors, so I want bigger motors.

2 Likes

Any detriment in using an all aluminum enclosure for housing the VESC?

I would suggest taking it to a local machine shop and having them try to extract it for you.
Either they will weld a piece of metal to what’s left of the bolt head and use that to extract it, or very carefully use a milling machine to drill down through the bolt to remove it. (If done correctly this doesn’t remove/damage the threads in the housing)

I would offer to have you send it to me and I can try to do those things, but you’re across the pond from me so shipping would be ridiculous.

2 Likes

As long as you take aluminum’s conductivity into consideration, you should be fine.

it blocks radio waves so don’t put your receiver antenna in there, and it can cause short circuits so make sure everything is well-insulated and can’t vibrate/chafe against it.

2 Likes

Get a set of “speed outs”

1 Like

its the super hardened steel
i doubt they would be able to drill into it
i have a set of speed outs but i suspect it would make it worse

dont really have a local machine shop
will search for one online

Then you might have a cheaper set of “outs”. Mine cut through most metals no issues.

1 Like

its a tiny bolt (m3/m4) and i have a pretty good set (i think at least)
will give them a quick test

Thank you. Seems like more hassle than its worth.

You need to drill a hole in the bolt first. Take a 1mm bit and create a hole then use the “outs”.

1 Like

i will try but i doubt a 1mm bit is getting into hardened steel
3ds offered to make me a new piece
lets see how much that costs

Machinists have two secret weapons for hard steel:

• Harder steel
  • Carbide

Believe me when I say there is no steel in this world hard enough to resist being drilled with a carbide tool.
The issue is that carbide is also incredibly brittle, so it’s not going to work well with a hand drill - too much flex and side-loading. They can really only be used in a drill press or milling machine.

3 Likes

ive tried carbide once but it made me cry at £15 for 1 drill bit
found a cnc shop 3 miles away
will give them a ring tomorrow morning

2 Likes