Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

Got a diagram from @mutantbass showing where they go, battery 1, goes to N4, skipping N5. Battery 2 ends with the black wire. Just didn’t feel like adding it to my diagram I made

got 2 6384 flipsky motors (new)
i tested the sensors with a multimeter and both fine
plugged them in (confirmed pin layout like 10 times)
white - temp
black - gnd
red - v+
colours - hall

but they wont register on the vesc app
i just get bad detection
ive tried on both pc and via phone

lmk if anyone has any suggestions

Do you have another ESC to test them on? Maybe it’s unrelated to the motors.

they are brand new trampa vescs
it makes no sense at all

vesc tool app on focboxes the motors detected sensors
on the trampa vescs they wont

this is soooooo weird

If you cant return them just run HFI.

1 Like

i can return but its a huge pita
i dont mind running hfi but i struggled a ton last time to get it right
i watched the video and everything but it never came out perfect

Maybe check what the sensor voltage switch is set to - On the vesc6 there’s a little switch next to the sensor port that can change between 3.3 and 5 volts. Maybe it’s set to 3.3 and the sensors really want 5?

I know some of the flipsky vesc-alikes (and also the vesc6 beta units IIRC) had the wires all reversed. Same order, just backwards. Maybe take a meter and probe the vesc’s plug to make sure it’s outputting the right voltage on the right pins?

Unfortunately I’m no help with regards to firmware.

2 Likes

Can I check the voltage with a multimeter at the loop key port when I am charging?

1 Like

focboxes give 5v to the sensors so that may be a thing
super hard to see what its set to on the trampa vesc. do i have to open it to adjust that switch?

Yes-but.

You can get a ballpark reading from the loopkey port, but I wouldn’t rely on it for high accuracy, since there’s a bunch of electronics between the loopkey and the other terminal of the battery, including big caps that might hold a charge.

It’s much better to either have a voltmeter installed in the board, or to have a meter in parallel with the charger/charge port. Brian uses these pretty much exclusively - A barrel jack, a meter, and a barrel plug, all gooped together with JB-Weld. Stick the charger in one side, and then stick the other side in the board.

2 Likes

Can I check on the charge port? I am using a xt60 since my barrel charge port went :boom:.

By the way is it normal that I get a little spark when plugging the xt60 for charging?otherwise I have a Davega on the board, this is my first ever charge, I don’t know if I can keep it on all day long

1 Like

Yes

1 Like

Just to be extra sure, while charging?

1 Like

How are you thinking of reaching the prongs while charging?

1 Like

I realized how dumb that was while you were writing :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I’ll send you a pic in a few minutes when I’m home. Best solution imo

1 Like

so i found one of the sensor ports has the switch broken (the little black piece to change must have fallen off)
i sent @trampa a message
i dont think the issue is the sensor voltage as they stock come at 5v (i think)

This shunt display/voltmeter. I believe my version supports 20A.

The cables and ports are added by me.

When connected to just the battery = battery voltage

When connected to just the charger = charger voltage

While charging = battery voltage, amps coming from the charger, watts being used by the charger and total Wh flown through the meter (all-time, i just reset it)

3 Likes

Wow thats really nice, do you have a link for that display/meter?

1 Like