Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

Oh Sweet! That one is cheaper! Thanks!

Why not buy from MBoards? All my shipments have been pretty legit. :man_shrugging:

MBoards is probably the worst vendor for shipping items out on time, shipping out the right items, responding to CS, dealing with warranties, among other things. Steer clear.

4 Likes

:hushed: Very good to know! I’ll deff keep this in mind!

2 Likes

I’d need at least 270mm hangers on an evo for lean clearance on 8in pneumatics right?

alsooo I’ve been having a hard time finding metal mbs rockstar II pulleys. Apart from lacroix, is there anywhere else to get some metal ones? Or am I gonna need to print some?

owner is a scammer, end of story.

3 Likes

It works! Now my ubox has roll to start!

5 Likes

I just got my build up and running and I got a thermal overload after about 5 miles. Granted I was going pretty hard and it was 102°f.

That being said I am using two TB 4.12 vescs on 12s. I have battery max set to 25 amps and two flipsky 6374 140kv motors.

From my brief reading and searching this seems like expected behavior.

I’m wondering if this is a result of an exceptionally hot day or should I expect similar things to happen in cooler temperatures like under 90°f?

Also it looks like no one has successfully cooled the fets because they are dumping their great straight into the pcb.

Has anyone tried either replacing them with something that can have a heat sink effectively attached?
Has anyone tried reorienting them so they are perpendicular to the pcb so an aluminum or copper bar could be attached to their back?

Or should I just force my murder board to be less murdery and limit the current even more?

1 Like

ive got a battery i bought a little while back thats still on its first cycle, however, it DID vaporize a chunk of my knife when i did the dumb replacing the xt90 i fried on it with some improper wiring. ive since bench tested it with no issues, but its too physically large for any of the projects on my list, and so im considering selling it, but id like to first check it out a bit since as i said i did fry its xt90. from what i understand, i need to take off the shrink wrap and something something multimeter. please direct me in the right direction to make sure this thing is still in fact a first cycle 40t samsung 12s3p without any issues, so that i may know how to confirm its actual value.

1 Like

Unfortunately, there’s no real easy way to heatsink a 4.12. Large amounts of forced air over the PCB can help, but it was designed with cost and simplicity in mind, rather than performance.

I suppose if you were really determined, you could take the fets off the board, and make some kind of daughter board that could be more easily cooled, but that’s a ton of effort. Might as well just buy a more thermally-capable ESC at that point.

2 Likes

I basically never had thermal problems with my 4.12 vescs after giving them fresh air. The harder i pushed them, the cooler they got. Granted not everyone can give them fresh air, depending on the enclosure of the board.

Otherwise as Ryan said, a thermally capable vesc should be the next step.

2 Likes

i recently got myself a belt driven skate but i have no idea how tight should the belt be since the current configuration makes it heat up when freely spinning.
is this normal or should i loosen it ?

1 Like

what’s the t count for both gear, and also what’s the centre to centre (c2c) distance for ur motor mount? if unsure about the c2c distance, post a pic, i will tell u where u should meansure it

the belt shouldn’t heat up when free spinning while unload, at least it should be unnoticeable at best

here is my setup.
second belt for reference.

ratio is 16/36

The belt should be as loose as you can make it, without it skipping teeth under heavy acceleration or braking. HTD5 belts have relatively large, deep teeth, so they’re able to run pretty loose.

You can set it by hand by adjusting the tension, then grabbing the motor with one hand and the wheel with the other, and trying to turn them against each other. If it doesn’t skip, loosen the belt a little until it does, and then go back just a hair, so it doesn’t skip anymore. If it skips, tighten the belt a little, until it doesn’t skip anymore.

1 Like

you gave me an idea. what if your enclosure had temish screens on the front and back end? would allow air flow for cooling, while being effectively water and dust proof.

It doesn’t look like u can adjust the motor position, u need a larger belt and use a tensioner.

May work, though i doubt it’ll be enough air.

same. allowing air to pass through is not the same thing as allowing air to FLOW through
could be interesting though, im gonna research different filtration materials to see if i can find something that WOULD act like that…

1 Like

i can adjust it

1 Like