Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

Hei.
I testfitted the parts on my board while waiting for my battery. Found out i needed a riser.
Took of the rear truck. Then tried the front. But one bolt was fucked. The nut didnt move. Like it had seized completely. Had to use wisegrip and small ratchet. when the bolt finaly got sheared right of i could see this banana bolt. It was completely fine and brand new when i mounted it. Wtf could have made the nut to seize on the threads, and make the bolt bend like this. I didn’t overtighten as this was only test mounting of the parts.

Stainless steel is notorious for galling and micro-welding itself together.
Firstly, I usually recommend not using stainless fasteners, because they’re softer and weaker than their steel counterparts - more likely to strip.
If you MUST go stainless, then I recommend adding some kind of contaminant to the screw before installing it. Just about anything works - Loctite, oil, grease, cheez whiz, you name it. It will keep the two stainless surfaces from bonding together on the microscopic level. It only takes a tiny amount - I’ve even just rubbed a finger on my nose and used that skin oil in the past when I didn’t have anything else on hand.

6 Likes

Thanks. Didn’t know this.
I’ll get new bolts tomorrow. These were too short anyway now with the 1/2" riser.

1 Like

Hey, anyone know how to calculate what belt size I need?
Running Boardnamics XL mounts

60tooth wheel pulley and 16tooth motor pulley

https://www.pfeiferindustries.com/calculators/timing-belt-length-and-center-to-center-distance-calculator
HTD 5mm pitch is the most common esk8 size.

1 Like

are cloudwheels on hubs a waste

Hey! Heavy guy riding on 100A bushings on DKP’s. They’re wobbly af, so I thighten them up. Still plenty of wobble. Is there much to be gained by buying supposedly kickass Riptide bushings which have squishier duro?

I ride ONSRA rubbers as well. They do grip like mad, however some caveats -

1. How heavy is your fella? I’m 115kg and these wheels are borderline too squishy for me. Their effective diameter for overcoming obstacles shrinks after squishing and I often feel that some curb hits go right through the rubber.
  2. Just like the weight squishes them downwards, obstacles will press on the rubber from the front. I’d say that my 90mm China PU’s roll over stuff better. Rubbers do mask crappy roads very nicely and stuff like pedestrian cobblestone is hardly a problem.
1 Like

He’s 80kg. I also suggested he could buy the wheels from you if/when you upgrade to clouds :laughing:

1 Like

hey guys, i just blew my second smart bms with some Front IC Error shown in the app.

any idea what would be causing this ?

the wiring is correct, both worked for a while and then went out during ride

there are maybe two reason which caused this unexpected problems : 1) with wrong connection order with balance wires , you said it works normally after a few week , so the connection reason can be excluded . 2) your cells connection has meet problems ,such as the nickle strip broken with your battery ,or cells group meet a weak connection problems . this will has the possibility to damge these resistor . please check it carefully and let me know the result

1 Like

What bushings do you have that are 100a? Maybe they aren’t true 100a

The riptide bushings are the best out there, if you can afford it I recommend trying them out. They’re just way smoother than anything else. Additionally, you might be able to try out a fatcone setup with cupped washers that may give more stability

Another thing, how long have you been riding? What speed do you get wobbles at? Being very turnable is one of the strengths of DKP while being stable is a big weakness.

Some of this can be alleviated with proper riding technique. For example, I can ride my ownboard dkp kit up to 25mph without getting wobbly, on the stock bushings, barely tightened down.

2 Likes

Mentioning that it happened while on a ride would tend to point me towards inspecting how the wiring is run

It seems like possibly a short across some groups happened. How good is your balance wiring? Can you share some pics?

I’m using these blind rivet nuts as a passthrough connector for my enclosure screws. I tried using wood glue, super glue, then finally jbweld and I can’t get it strong enough that the glue holds and the rivet spins with the screw instead of tightening more. What should I do now? Loctite?

I believe those are some China grade noname bushings, so your guess whether they’re truly 100A is as good as mine. They are hard tho.

I’ve ridden over 1000km on RKP’s (Paris + Paris clone) and around 200km on DKP’s. With RKP’s and China noname bushings of unknown duro I can go up to 40km/h (the Wowgo 3x won’t propel my fat ass any faster) without wobbling out or even feeling the spidey senses tingling. Onsra DKP’s are another ballgame entirely. It feels like I’m balancing on a tightrope, so it’s not about speed wobbles per se as much as struggling to maintain balance. Once when going at around 30km/h I caught a crack in the sidewalk which made me lose balance, but I was able to clean up after 3 extra deep carves and probably a few gray hairs. I guess what I’m trying to say is that RKP lets me feel the bushing resistance, but DKP’s feel like it’s all me.

Anyho - thanks for the tip. I will get the Riptides to try out.

2 Likes

Nice!

Interesting. I wonder if the geometry is slightly different or something.

I would give the riptides a shot for sure. I get what you mean about sudden imbalances. I’ve found them much harder to predict on dkp than rkp

1 Like

Yeah, @rusins and I were wondering what’s the reason behind upper tier China board almost universal love towards DKP’s. My guess was that everyone’s trying to copy Evolve, so if it’s expensive then it must have DKP’s. If I’m to believe DKwan, then Onsra seem to be using the crappy kind of DKP’s which need heroic amounts of tightening to ride true and stable. So I did tighten them more today and it was kinda better, but still… feels like raw dogging the road.

3 Likes

Hmmm

Yeah I also think that all of the dkp trucks minus evolve use the same mold

Ownboard, flipsky, b-one, wowgo, onsra,… etc etc

I know ownboard claims to have a forged one so maybe they’re different, who really knows.

1 Like

Yeah, seems like Onsra DKP’s are pretty similar to what Flipsky is selling. Supposedly Backfire is also using their own design. I’m about to fix up a delaminated Onsra BC2 deck (it’s very good geometry-wise) and I might turn it into an AT build. I’m actually half considering getting Evolve DKP’s for it as I’m not too knowledgeable about other good non-MTB tracks which are good with smaller pneumies.

1 Like

If you can source mounts, I have RKP Surf rodz trucks I can offer you. Surf rodz trucks have a longer wheelbase than usual, so it can make some pneumatic setups possible where regular caliber based hangers couldn’t. Or there are super wide Moon trucks :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Imo if you don’t like DKP you shouldn’t buy more, lol

1 Like