Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

You can bolt them up and be done or you can use a tad of thermal paste which will perform a little better, but just the dry heatsink will be far, far better than the naked ESC.

1 Like

Nothing<<thermal pad<<thermal paste. But given the generally large contact area and generally low thermal load (a few tens of watts at most, usually), even straight metal-to-metal is usually more than adequate, as long as both surfaces are moderately flat. It’s not anywhere near as critical as a computer heatsink, where you have tens or hundreds of watts in an area of ~0.5 square inches.

4 Likes

do I need to charge my lipos before setting up vesc? they are at 30% from shipping. also when charging I wouldn’t need my loop key in?

No

Under typical bypass wiring, you do not need your loopkey in while charging. Your loopkey breaks the circuit to the load (esc + motors). The charge port is wired to the battery (with fuse), through the BMS.

3 Likes

I have actually never heard of thermal paste, thanks for the explanation. Just when I thought I was getting out of the noob label lol! Still lots to learn.

1 Like

200w

4 Likes

1 Like

You don’t need to charge them to set up VESC, but I’d recommend charging them to at least storage voltage before doing anything further with them. IDK about your batteries but mine were plastered with warning stickers to bring them up to storage after opening as soon as possible.

yes mine were too, I heard they would keep as long as I didn’t use them though. after setup ill charge them fully

Stupid questions is there a way to disable the switch on my Zenith in Vesc Tool as I have an anti-spark with a switch already for power? or do I have to bridge mom pins in hardware?
Also another dumb question but does Zenith with built in ble work with windows? I can connect from my iphone but can’t find ble using windows however it works via usb.
Vesc tool does my head in…so much confusion.

This the only way.

U need TCP bridge

4 Likes

Hey everyone, any in-stock heatsink for dual Trampa VESC MkV ?
@3DServisas 's one is only available for TB V6 it seems…

Uni box fits them

Edit1/
Oh wait just the heatsink?
Edit 2/
Oh yes the trampa heatsink is sold out. Nvm. Sorry!

2 Likes

Okay bridge mom pins did the trick. I just ordered metr as I can’t see a way to get to settings without an android something with lid on…damn you Benjamin. Is there an easier way to set up a tcp bridge?

Another newbie question, running flipsky 6374 with 10mm d splines. There is a 1cm gap between my motor pulley and motor, Do I need to fill this gap with like 20 speed rings? I image the motor has a surclip after bearing.

Look at you being helpful.

1 Like

Look at you being unhelpful

Anyways, on the topic of heatsinks, I think if I were to install one I’d probably use thermal paste, but only because I have it already. I think like Brian said, metal on metal is perfectly fine for our application

Now if only it weren’t so annoying to add one to an existing build…

5 Likes

So I have been out of the loop for a while. What is the big deal with gear drives? I ride a belt drive MTB most of the time and have never even blown a belt.

1 Like

Quack quack

8 Likes

You are so confusing man

Do you actually want to be here to talk about esk8 or just stir up stuff

1 Like

They’re pretty good. It’s like a better belt drive, but minus the belt. I want to get one eventually.

1 Like