Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

changing that setting seems to have fixed the cogging, atleast from what i can see indoors, ill try it outside later

Hey guys, quick question.

I recently got my stormcore and want to fit everything in my enclosure.
Is it ok to plug the battery into the esc, if my esc is not connected to any motors?
Also is it ok to turn the esc on without it being plugged into the motors as well?

You need to be really careful, if your phase wires touch while activated it’s pretty much a guaranteed dead ESC

If you plug it in without motors on it, be sure to tape up all the phase wires so they can’t touch. Otherwise, no real problem.

4 Likes

That is exactly the type of answer I was looking for. Thank you so much!

1 Like

wth?, my battery voltage completely cut out at around 34-35v but i set it to 30, could this be a bms issue? inaccurate display?

Why did you set it to 30? That’s very low.

its a number confirmed by @b264 the man itself, regardless 34-35 is far from where it should cut🤨

Well depending on what the battery is your “cuts” might be voltage sag, hard to say when you haven’t provided very much information

1 Like

completely dead to the point of not even led switch turning on, very noticeable slow down last km before the cut

just double checked its still set at 30v in the vesc

Gonna need more details than that. Too many setups on here, can’t assume we know what you’re talking about

1 Like

uhh let see 10s3p, trampa esc, using chinese cells probably, what møre you need

1 Like

And you’re getting your voltage from what, multimeter?

Were the cutouts on acceleration or does it cutout and die, can you turn it back on after it dies?

I’m still guessing voltage sag or P group inbalance, especially since you mentioned china cells

Are you discharging through a BMS?

30V is too low if it’s 10S or more

1 Like

it gets very saggy from 36 to 34-35v and thats where it completely dies at idle with no way of turning it on without charging, from 42v to 36v it feels normal however

Are you discharging through a BMS?

1 Like

never opened the battery pack so cant confirm but i assume it has one?

… probably bypassed then @b264

Is this an mboards pack

nope, scrapped it from a pre built board

however it does get ~27km range on 80mm wheels so it cant be broken

So it’s almost certainly “discharge” and not “bypass”.

I would set the VESC hard cutoff slightly (0.5V?) above the lowest voltage you’ve measured from your pack with a multimeter. I’d set the soft cutoff maybe 1 or 2 volts above that.

So maybe these cutoffs

or bump up the hard cutoff to like 34.5V

2 Likes

^^

I personally set my good cell battery packs to 32v final cutoff on 10s

1 Like