Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

A new truck is the best option. What country are you in?

Hey,

I’m new to soldering and I understand how to get the bullet connectors on the ESC and the motor, but for my remote, it says to connect one wire to the positive terminal of the battery:

You can see that one the picture to the right, they just soldered onto the board. If I’m understanding this correctly, do I even need more solder? Or can I just heat up the solder already there and stick the wire into it?

Sorry if this is a really noob question, just making sure I’m doing everything correctly

Canada

put it at the other end of the wire when you’re soldering your xt90 on, it will be easier

3 Likes

Can anyone direct me to screws that are going to be rust resistant but also strong enough for things like motor mounts (12.9 grade steel, but also stainless?). It’s been so humid recently a bunch of my screws started rusting lol.

I personally would use 12.9 and accept the rust.

There is no 12.9 stainless

1 Like

You will need to tin the wire (melt solder onto it) first, before you try to integrate it into the existing solder pool. Otherwise there’s no way to ensure that the new wire actually is wetted with the solder, rather than just being mechanically stuck in there.

Like Muf said, it would probably just be easier to do it on the other end.

3 Likes

What Brian said.

If you absolutely MUST have stainless and maximum strength, there are high-strength stainless screws made of alloys such as 17-4PH or A286, but be prepared to spend a couple dollars or more per screw.

3 Likes

Got it, I’ll just deal with it and save my wallet the tears :joy:

Thanks guys

1 Like

You can dip your black-oxide steels screw heads in molten wax or wipe them with some light oil, which will absorb into the semiporous oxide layer and improve the corrosion resistance. Obviously avoid getting oil on the threads where it would interfere with threadlocker.

2 Likes

Try wiping the bolts with a paper towel soaked with a drop of Loctite

Never tried it, but it may work to prevent rusting?

1 Like

Hmm, never heard of that trick before. I was gonna wipe it off with some wd-40 in a towel, then dig up some oil and lightly glaze it on

Wouldn’t that make it a dust and dirt magnet? I’m curious if you could just give it a spray of clearcoat or something and call it a day.

should i change this? it was like this by default and i use sensors

Do the motor detection and pick “sensored”

1 Like

ye i just did it but the result back still says “sensorless”

both motors or just 1?

Rerun detection

just 1

swap em around and redo detection. See if the same motor comes up again as sensorless.

1 Like