Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

That looks really dangerous and I would never skate on that deck again.

But maybe that’s just me. I’m not a composites expert.

Onsra is a cheap china brand, yes? This would fit the narrative.

They’re a not-so-cheap Swiss brand using China parts. I liked how the board rode, but it started making noise on stress and after tightening the hanger bolts, I revealed the delamination. I will give them credit tho for standing behind their product and sending out a spare with minimum hassle and offering to honor the warranty if I swap the deck properly.
I’ve read some carpenters articles about fixing delaminated plywood, however there’s no info about whether the fix is visual or does it offer the same load bearing.

1 Like

I personally would not trust a repair in that area.

Unless the repair involved a new fiberglass layer on both sides and over the edges. And maybe not even then, depends on how it was done.

1 Like

Got it. I’ll bug some of the local carpenters, but worst comes to worst I’ve got a nice wall ornament.

Just got in touch with a local longboard/deck mfg. Migla Boards and they told me to open up the delamination and inject epoxy in there. Supposedly the fix would be harder than rest of the deck. I’ll try it and once the epoxy cures, I’ll do some torture testing.

1 Like

how do you deck mount a battery?

it came with these tiny connectors so i put heatshrink around them, also where does the white and red cable from power switch go?

Those are for slotting into the jst ph connector

2 Likes

i dont have any jst connectors and it didnt say anywhere that you need to buy them separately tho

Buy them

Trampa won’t know what u r buying it for, why would they include that if it might be redundant to do so?

2 Likes

ok but anyway where does the white cable go? i assume its for second vesc?

Check the label on the switch and follow the diagram

3 Likes

download

Max weight is whatever the load-bearing capacity of your hardware is (battery securing device, supporting foam, enclosure, enclosure bolts, thread inserts, etc.

i.e., you can have a heavy battery if you have the proper hardware to hold it up.

In the past I have used 2" wide industrial strength velcro, though I dont know that I would recommend it. It’s strong as fuck, but under heavy vibration my parts started to “'walk” around the enclosure. Essentially the velcro didnt hold things in place, it just held them up, if that makes sense.

I have heard good things about 3M Dual Lock but I have not used it.

What I do NOT recommend is that thick gummy clear mounting tape. I bought a hummie deck from @DerelictRobot that had a bunch of lipos stuck in place with WAY too much of this stuff. It held the batteries in place like a hot damn, but trying to get them out of the hummie’s cutout was fucking impossible, and nerve-wracking as hell besides :joy:

The method I have used for all my previous esk8’s has been:

1.) Clean deck and battery shrink wrap thoroughly with isopropyl alcohol.

2.) Apply industrial velcro to battery and deck. Start with a minimum amount, and use small 2" squares instead of long strips.

If it’s not enough to hold the battery, it’s easy to take the battery off and add more squares of velcro. If it’s too much you will never get the battery off ever again.

Once the battery is secure to the deck and supporting it’s own weight, stand on the deck to confirm that flexing will not tear the battery away from the velcro. If it does, you may need to adjust your velcro placement.

3.) Pad the inside of your enclosure with foam. I like to use closed cell neoprene foam for this, but use whatever you want.

Add enough foam that when you install the enclosure, you have to press it in place and compress the foam around the battery. This will help to support the weight of your battery to keep it from tearing away from the velcro over time, as well as protecting it from bumps and vibrations.

4.) Bolt on your enclosure.

The method I am using for my current esk8 is:

1.) Place battery in top box.

2.) Close top box.

3.) Profit.

eMTB for the win :sunglasses:

7 Likes

Having a motor issue.
Both motors spin, then one motor starts spinning more slowly then stops, other motor continues to spin Here’s a video of what I mean
https://drive.google.com/file/d/18tQlPyMpja2Ek047_XSe571igzCcAhr8/view?usp=sharing
any idea what’s going wrong? (guessing that the motor is broken…)

Dangling that remote lanyard near the belt transmission was giving me anxiety

1 Like

I don’t know what causes that but I have seen more than a couple reports of that same bahaviour now.

What ESC are you using? What firmware are you using? How is your remote connected? Are any faults listed in the terminal?

1 Like

i was obvlivious :sweat_smile:

Im using a Unity, using VESC default firmware (FW 5.2). Remoted is connected via bluetooth (remote is a VX2 and I used the BT dongle plugged into the Unity). No faults since startup in Terminal.