Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

@Trampa When will you do the Youtube Vesc tutorials on the Desktop tool?

2 Likes

Nothing we do here is “safe” in absolute terms.
Bypassing for discharge does negate some of the BMS’s battery protection functionality: If the battery is overdischarged, or unbalanced, the BMS won’t be able to disconnect the load to protect the battery from damage.

That being said, the ESCs we use have their own undervoltage (overdischarge) and overcurrent protection built in. They can’t detect unbalanced cells, but they can keep you from draining the pack too low or too hard, so the amount of protection you’re giving up is pretty minimal.

The advantage of bypassing for discharge is that the BMS can no longer shut off the ESC mid-ride, which can easily cause the rider to lose control or brakes, or fall.
In my opinion, it is better to protect the rider more and the battery pack less, than the reverse.

1 Like

That is a valid point! Thanks alot for the informative replies!

2 Likes

ran it again, and they are still just buzzing. They did perfectly fine in the motor connection, spun the correct way and everything but they are not spinning using the remote even though it is connected.

I have to be doing something wrong because I plugged it into both usb ports on the esc and it happens the same way each time albeit the detection works every time.

The motors spin during detection and the one even spins without it but one is making an awful buzzing noise whenever i throttle the vx1… any help would be greatly appreciated because we are quicjly running out of things to test.

Can you confirm that you clicked the button to “write motor settings” after running the motor detection? It doesn’t apply the new motor detection settings automatically.

is it better to use ppm or uart?

In case of the vx1 there’s no difference apart from UART having a reverse option i think. (Not necessary if you use smart reverse or current control with reverse)

1 Like

You’re welcome!

One thing I should also mention:
If you’re running lights or other non-drivetrain electronics on your board, you should probably run those from the P- connection rather than B-, because it’ll keep you from accidentally leaving (for example) a dc-dc converter running some lights on overnight and draining the pack. And also if the BMS shuts off your sick underglow, it won’t make you crash.

1 Like

Forgot to mention.

UART requires no setup or calibration but has the disadvantage of being non configurable.

PPM needs a setup/calibration but you can fully fine-tune it. (And you have the uart port free for another device)

3 Likes

Ppm > uart

3 Likes

Pretty much, yeah.

2 Likes

alright cheers, have you got any links for these?

using a single fsesc 4.20 also

These are control Modes within the vesc tool.

3 Likes

Do I need to change anything regarding regenerative breaking, when im bypassing the BMS. I did move the -p wire over to the -b which resolved my problem.

1 Like

are caliber 2 trucks not compatible with 38T wheel pulley :question:

Depends on the pulley. you might need E-caliber trucks.

1 Like

38T DIY Electric Skateboard Wheel Pulley — MBoards

idk it said in the description that it doesnt but i dont see why it wouldnt fit caliber 2

grafik

3 Likes