Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

hey guuuuuys im finally buying a helmet be proud of me. Now. Im a fancy lil shit so its gotta look good and preferably have room for gadgets when I wanna upgrade it to smart helmet. Full face only. As stated, fancy little shit. I want the stupid icon airflite cuz its sexy but I also like new olders cuz they look nice and I like them and wanna support their business. I also understand tsg is the “standard.” So any recommendations or advice before I juggle those 3 all night?

1 Like

My next helmet is going to be a TSG. Looks cool. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I run an icon airflite, gets a little stuffy during the hottest summer days but no complains otherwise.

3 Likes

They both look nice. As an insistently aesthetic bastard imma end up with both styled to match boards. But im leaning airflite cuz I think its sexy or new olders cuz support cool guys.

1 Like

Where do you guys find all this fancy hardware? Titanium bolts in all kinds of colors.
Hardware for trucks and for enclosure mounting.

Lacroix has some but you can also get them on aliexpress, idk where else though

1 Like

Aliexpress

I’m never too sure of what to think of the New Olders helmets in terms of safety. They’re probably fine, but at the same time I don’t think they actually are certified by any safety organization. If they are, their site makes it extremely difficult to figure out aside from the fact it’s compliant in IDF sanctioned races, and the IDF sets a very low bar on what is classified as a compliant helmet (basically any EPS full face, even homemade, can be allowable).

1 Like

just paint them yourself lol

Does anyone run ceramic bearings on their eMTB? I haven’t seen this topic come up and the search doesn’t reveal much.

I’m running MBS Matrix II Trucks with MBS Rockstar 2 Hubs and would like to know where’s the best place to buy 12x28mm ceramic bearings to fit?

Why? You run out of things to spend money on?

4 Likes

I paint mine.

Actually, yes :slight_smile:

I’ve spent so much time and money on all areas of my build, I was thinking what else can I do to make it better.

I upgraded to ceramic bearings on my street board after running 6 months with steel bearings and I did notice an improvement. Possibly because they were new and clean though… One thing that stood out was the reduction in noise.

I’m just not sure if it’s worth it for an eMTB build, I would be keen to get some opinions.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong but I think any protective gear sold in the EU has to pass the same standard tests, that approval mark is where “CE pads” come from in jackets and elbow/shoulder/back protectors. The motorbike ones also get reffered to as ECE 22.05 as far as I understand.

The New Holders one doesn’t advertise CE compliance so it likely isn’t approved, but it does claim to pass US regulations for impact resistance from the CPSC. I can’t really say for sure because they don’t specify which impact test but it looks like that term mostly refers to bicycle tests. As a final note, they said they passed the test in 2013 and have improved materials since then, but that does mean it’s likely a different design. All seems reasonable, but not ideal

@Kai

1 Like

on the battery and motor amps are you supposed to put the max that they can handle or the max that the esc can, like if i have a 85a motor and 50a vesc

they are independent things, u set the batt amps and motor amps to what u desire

u finally ditching the god tier lingyi esc and embrace the vesc side?

3 Likes

so where do you limit to what the esc can handle

not sure what u mean by limit, most esc nowadays can do 6s to 12s and anything in between, and depending on different hardwares, they can do wide range of amps. from 40a to 120a

or u mean to limit the rpm of the motor?

2 Likes

If a motor can only handle 50A and a VESC can only handle 60A per motor, you set the motor current limit at or below 50. Lower if you want.

If a battery can handle 40A and the VESC can do 50A battery current, you set the battery max at or below 40. Battery and motor are different though, you can have higher motor than battery, just make sure that each parameter is set using that “lower than the weakest” and you’ll be good.

1 Like

what if the vesc can handle less than the motor?