Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

This could just be a different BMS design, a Common Port design (double blocking as opposed to a Separate Port design or single blocking) that is currently in fault state due to under/overvoltage or whatever

I’ve got no idea about this, sounds like a BMS problem maybe? IDK :man_shrugging:

1 Like

does vesc micro usb port give power? i was thinking to use it as a way to connect the lights and maybe put a switch inbetween them or maybe it doesnt work like that idk

I don’t really think that’s something you want to do.

You could probably use the BEC off of the PWM connector but I think that’s only 1.5a max.

Nothing auxiliary on the VESC is really enough for lights.

2 Likes

https://www.beltingonline.com has a wide selection of pulleys, and their smaller HTD (up to 30-40 teeth at least, IIRC) are steel. They offer many options for modifying bore diameters, keyways, and/or grub screws as an added service.

Not the cheapest, but very good quality and great customer service.

You should absolutely NOT use the vesc to power anything but the motors, the receiver, and the vesc itself. Too much risk of something going wrong - If anything glitches the power rail, it will cause the board to restart or stop entirely, which could result in you doing a superman maneuver, and very shortly thereafter, eating pavement.

7 Likes

i might actually use drone batteries and just tape them to the light since attaching it to the battery seems hard

Sir, this is a DIY forum. Everything we do is hard. If it were easy, prebuilts wouldn’t suck.

8 Likes

easy for you to say i dont have a 3d printer

What does that have to do with anything we’ve been discussing? You don’t need a 3d printer to wire lights to a buck converter, a switch, and then to the battery.

8 Likes

I guess it’s just not annealed. Nickel is stiff until they aneal it. Kind of wish it was dead soft, so much easier to work with. It’s so weird, it’s the only nickel sample I have out of so many others that are soft, that isn’t.

2 Likes

Very strange. I guess you could always take a blowtorch or similar heat source to it and anneal it youself!

1 Like

That gets through any plating?
If so, I might need to sell off my brother and get me one of those things.

3 Likes

Nah, you have to grind an area for testing.

2 Likes

So I should think of it more like light bouncing off a surface than something tunneling deep into the metal? :pensive:

2 Likes

Yes, unfortunately.

2 Likes

Yeah. The x-rays used are fairly weak (20-60 Kev), and only penetrate a few dozens or hundreds of microns into the surface at best.

3 Likes

:laughing: :hugs: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

mission passed :fire:

absolute sheesh moment

I watched the crash videos thread, and got a bit shaken.
There seems to be alot of crashes due to esc? remotes?
What can cause my board to suddenly stop. Motors lock up etc etc. I just want to be aware.