Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

Give us a wire gauge.

1 Like

can you guess it

1 Like

What is the “v-bat” 2 wire connection on the Stormcore 60D for? Anyone? Seems a little redundant. Do I need to hook it up?

I think it’s for little LCD battery displays like this lad

I have a pack with a Bestech BMS that feeds two small wires off battery voltage to one of those, so I’m guessing the stormcore output is for that if your BMS doesn’t have it or you want all your connections coming off the ESC instead of spread all over the place

1 Like

Arduino BLE help?
I have this arduino nano + CC2540 BLE chip

I want to connect this NRF52832 iBeacon

I used a blank sketch then set the nano as the master and then scanned for bluetooth devices. How do I find the iBeacon and can I get the rssi. I want to make it stay connected to the beacon and scan the rssi of the beacon every 5 seconds. I’m struggling to find examples of this. I found examples of nano ble 33 but this is not a nano with Bluetooth built in but just a nano with an external ble module joined to it so it doesn’t work.
I have this for the beacon when scanning on my phone but none of these numbers match with what I can search from the arduino

those phase wires are tinyyyyyyyyyyy

4 Likes

compensating for something?

1 Like

yeah a hugmongous cock :smirk:

4 Likes

Looks like 5055s so you can use 12awg for it. I would say 14 because I’ve seen escs with 14awg, but 12 would do.

I’ve got a charger with an external LLT BMS, which means I need to plug in the balance wires every time. Do I plug in the balance wires before the main power, or plug in the main power and then balance wires? Is the BMS smart enough to not start charging until the balance leads are connected? On my hobby charger mains always goes first since it doesn’t actually charge until you manually start it, but with the LLT I’m not so sure.

I wanted to solder the male xt90 to the vesc , does it matter which side goes where?

Positive to positive, negative to negative.

1 Like

when plunging in

For Un pluging

Id also turn off the mains befor connecting or disconnecting the battry

I don’t think this is right because if the charger isn’t powered up then its output capacitors will be discharged, and when you plug the battery in to an unpowered charger there will likely be a spark and a big surge current as the battery charges the caps. Uncharged caps act like a short circuit for the transient

1 Like

High quality chargers do not need to be plugged into the battery before the wall.

Maybe a $5 shit charger does, but I wouldn’t use that as part of my fire prevention system anyway…

Are they diode separated from the caps on the output or how do they avoid that issue? Even if they don’t strictly need to, I don’t see a reason to make sure they’re unplugged before connecting the battery

They are probably actively controlled using MOSFETs.

no, they must be plugged into the wall first and then to the battery and you will have no sparks :handshake:

That’s what I said.

1 Like

ahhh, I chimed in without knowing :joy: