Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

Honestly itd make a better kick board… I’m cleaning it up and doin something with it regardless. Hmmm maybe I’ll make it a stealthy kick-push-electrically-assisted-cruise board… I want one cuz reasons.

1 Like

Someone gonna get that #1 spot with a gear drive set up fr.

2 Likes

make that mf 100 mile range put some 8 inch tires and go on a roadtrip

2 Likes

Then you get 4km and your back foot is numb. Then what?

2 Likes

never had that problem, and the roads here are 80% potholes, maybe your stance is too agressive

1 Like

I call bullshit. 80% by area means it’s an unpaved road. Photos required

1 Like

you can see the uneven terrain

3 Likes

Its weird but super light im now set on making it as light as possible, flat lipo packs cuz they’ll fit, kick-push-cruise with a foot cobtrolled brake via spring loaded lever and no remote, a la arduino magic, for the perfect beer runner. Because reasons. Max range is how many flat lipos I can stuff in. Unless someone wants to help me rebuild my 12s3p 40t pack to fit? I might be cool but im dumb.

Well played.

1 Like

yeah that deck isnt suited for roadtrip build but the light build sounds good

Noob question 4 or 5 iunno? Yall need frit?? My girl needs an our of season source of income, and she had a shit ton of fun making mine, and I personally wouldn’t mind having a literally in house custom frit guy. 50 likes on this comment and ill buy her the supplies.

3 Likes

How can I make a quick and dirty electrical load to test nickel stripping? I want to use my benchtop psu.

Can’t I just take like a 30’ coil of insulated wire, and use that? 5 amps 30v would be the max.

1 Like

For testing nickel strip (I assume you mean making sure it’s not going to get hot under load), voltage doesn’t matter at all. All you need is lots of current.

Your bench power supply only goes up to 5A, which won’t cut it.

One way would be to re-wind a microwave oven transformer for low current (lots of tutorials out there on how to do that), and use a variac to adjust the output from there. AC or DC doesn’t matter, as long as you can measure and control it.

A beefy dimmer switch might work, but that kind of inductive load will tend to make them explode.

If you have access to a TIG welder, that’s also a constant-current power supply and can be used for this kind of testing.

1 Like

I was just thinking of cutting really small strips. I’m really just trying to gauge the authenticity of this stripping, and was thinking an a to b comparison against known authentic nickel stripping of the same dimensions would suffice. This striping I have has passed all other tests except for a spark test, which I haven’t done yet. It just doesn’t seem real to me, it’s far to rigid, and hard to bend.

Like, couldn’t I cut what amounts to a 5 amp fuse, and see which one blows first? If this isn’t pure nickel, it should have half, or less, of the ampacity.

Iron/steel and nickel are fairly close with regards to electrical conductivity (within a factor of 1.5 or so), which is closer than I think you would be able to make an easy distinction with that method.

I would just go with the spark test. It’s foolproof: Test a piece of known steel - Get sparks. Test your nickel - If it sparks, it ain’t nickel. If it doesn’t spark, it ain’t steel.

1 Like

It’s not iron, though. Nor stainless. I think it might be some sort of weird alloy designed to pass things like the saltwater test, etc. I mean, have you ever seen pure nickel that wasn’t dead soft?

If it’s rigid it’s highly likely nickel plated steel.

I just found this - convert it to not stupid units, make a bit, use a nice metal file to get deep into the strip, dunk it in the solution and then take it out to dry. This should produce rust in less than 5 mins.

Pour two cups of hydrogen peroxide, four tablespoons of white vinegar, and one-and-a-half teaspoons of table salt into a plastic spray bottle.

Honestly I think you’re reading too much into it, and giving the cheapskates too much credit. Wouldn’t it be cheaper and easier to just sell nickel, than come up with some special handwavium alloy to make it really really seem like nickel?

Just spark it!

I had it sitting in a pile of moist salt for 3 days. After I scratched it with a tungsten scribe. Nothing.

Sometimes things go wrong with the saltwater test. Happened to the person who built one of my batteries.

This is the overkill method for a final answer IMO. If that doesn’t rust it… just use it haha.

1 Like