Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

Yes, just remove the circlip on the shaft, fasten the stator side to something (a motor mount held in a vise works well), grab the can, and pull really really hard to overcome the magnetic force. Careful not to accidentally punch yourself with the motor can when it lets go!

After you’ve got it apart, you can inspect and clean the stator and the magnets for debris.

When reassembling, try not to let the two pieces slam back together from the magnetic force, and also be SUPER careful not to have your fingers anywhere they can get pinched - That’s quite painful at best, and could break a fingerbone at worst.

1 Like

yeah once again the issue lies at having to take apart my gear drive to do this. (i can do it just i need to borrow a torch again and have a ton of spare time)

was hoping there is a way to do without

There’s never an easy way when it comes to direct drives.

1 Like

not direct drive… gear drive

1 Like

Just open it xD
I can understand that you don’t want to fuck it up more, but it’s already fuckerd. So man up, get the blow torch and fix this motor.
Nobody else is gonna do it lol

Maybe you can even convince some locals to help u

2 Likes

or use an x-ray to check inside the motor… :laughing:

Xray can’t see shit through the metal can lol

2 Likes

is that the only issue you had with that idea :laughing:
yeah gonna open it up but a torch is gonna be necessary

3 Likes

Yeah opening the motor is pretty much unavoidable.
The motorspur will come off pretty easy with some heat and a gear puller. Then remove the circlip on the shaft and finally pull the can of the stator to inspect it. It’s not very difficult.
You just gotta motivate yourself to finally do it

1 Like

this exactly

it will prob take an hour or two if i actually get on with it. just im very lazy atm

1 Like

There is, ditch the whole drivetrain and buy a new one :joy:

6 Likes

Why I Don't Like Christmas - Manic Pixie Green Girl

3 Likes

U asked for a solution, im just providing an expensive one :crazy_face:

7 Likes

has anyone used this deck before?
Landyachtz stratus 45.5” Deck
seems quite good for esk8

It’s a dancing deck, I don’t think that would be the best choice for an esk8, especially since the nose is useless

1 Like

how do those differentiate. i saw long size and wheelbase and assumed it would be decent

• minimum concave
  • larger than needed
  • positive camber for flex. probably not what you want in an electric board
  • possibly not strong enough for the abuse, although maybe the contrary

Adding on, dancers usually maximize deck surface area so there’s more room to move around on, so they tend to be pretty chunky and long with large symmetric tails on both ends. They also have less aggressive grip tape and frequently none in the center for easier twirls. Their goal is less to lock in your foot placement but rather provide space to step around on.

For example, take a look at some of the Zenits like the Judo or Joe, or the Loaded Bhangra or Tarab. They all follow a similar shape and design.

1 Like

OK, got some noob questions…

I’ve watched the Vedder VESC videos and is using the Android App the only way to set up profiles? From the video there is a Speed Limit for forward and reverse. If I want a slower profile for my kids, I figure I lower the forward speed, but do I want to lower the reverse speed as well? I don’t want to limit their ability to brake so I’m not sure if I want a slower reverse speed or not. Do I need to make changes to the battery voltage and motor voltages as well or does changing the speed settings make the changes I need?

I just ordered some Molicel P26A cells so hopefully the VESC defaults are more applicable for these types of cells. Most of the videos for setting up VESCs imply to accept the defaults and you’re good to go, but there is a lot of discussion on this forum about customizing it, setting up the braking, etc. But I don’t see the “Speed Limit” option on the desktop VESC Tool app… That seems like an easy way to customize it.

Lastly, I would hope after running the setup wizard the default settings aren’t enough to risk frying my battery and such. I’m finding the whole VESC set up process a bit confusing…

Reverse speed is different from braking. There are separate controls in the profile screen to modify acceleration and deceleration values (Motor Current values) that you can use to adjust those, the speeds are just top speed limiters in both directions.

I would at least update the duty cycle limit start value to 85% or somewhere around there. The default values there cause unexpected behavior at maximum speed, which is something you don’t want.

1 Like