Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

I am very close to finishing up my build but I need some help. I am making a single drive build that will be upgraded to a dual drive later on - but I have a Makerx DV6, so a dual ESC. Meaning that both ESC sides have to be connected to the battery and they are connected by canbus internally.

Now, I am not sure what happens if I have one motor plugged in to one side, and the other side is empty, but still powered and connected via canbus. Will this setup work? Do I need to set any extra settings in the vesc tool to make it work? Can I use both UART ports? I have a Bluetooth module and a DIY davega and it would be a shame if I couldn’t use both until I finally get the second motor late summer.

Any feedback appreciated

@b264 I know you don’t use dual VESCs but since you are a vesc tool expert and an expert of single drive setups, thought you might be able to help.

Yep! When doing motor detection, select the option to detect motors without can bus. Although even on a single MCU ESC like a stormcore, it seemed to work fine if I only had 1 motor.

As for the 2nd UART port: I don’t know. Maybe you’ll have to enable can bus communication for it to work properly. Maybe it’ll just work anyway :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

The DV6 is a dual-MCU system (it’s basically to complete single ESCs sharing a PCB), so one UART is going to each half. Both sides will work, as in they will communicate with the UART device plugged into them, but each side will only give and take information/commands for that side. That means that if you want to monitor battery voltage, you could easily do that from the no-motor side, but if you want to monitor speed, you would have to do that from the motor side.

This is further complicated by the canbus - There is some information shared between sides that way, so it’s possible that all the things will work on both sides because of that. - I don’t have a DV6 on hand to test.

TLDR, it might just work, or you might be limited by what the non-motor side can do. It won’t break anything to try.

4 Likes

b8926c9329626626e69f27f44bd7215cbac93a43

2 Likes

Thanks man I just want to be 100% correct on this. So coming from the Meepo sensor wire to the normal one it would be red to red, skip the white wire, then blue to orange, green to yellow, yellow to green and black to black. Is that correct?

The words are where the meepo sensor cable has to go.

2 Likes

Amazing! dankeschön

1 Like

Is it normal for a brand new tube to loose half of it’s pressure in 3 days of just sitting.

I would think not, unless they are in an environment that experiences vast temperature changes every 12 hours or whatever.

can someone help me figure out what the fuck kind of screw the janux motor mounts use to clamp on the hanger? Its the size of m5 with really large spaces between threads image

1 Like

@Janux-esk8

1 Like

are the holes kinda threaded the same ?

do you have a normal M5 to compare it to ?

Dont have the screw, but the threads seem more far apart than a regular m5. pic coming in a min

1 Like

1 Like

so M5-(insert thread type) x 20( or 25 mm maybe?)

you can find the thread type by measuring it like the pic says

I know I’m a artist

I can screw it in one turn, but the threads dont match

how do I measure something that small? I can try calipers

1 Like

yup that works if you don’t have a thread gauge like this one

Looks m5-.5 x 25

these are the screws that dont fit btw.

1 Like

that’s better :rofl:

the one on the pic from your question post looks way bigger