Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

1 Like

Loctite guide, all in one place, for everyone’s reference

Please add to it if it’s missing something

5 Likes

@rusins @BenjaminF
Do you guys have any other suggestions of tests you want me to do? Going to bang the plank then bang the enclosure itself? As if I bottom out on the deck?
I’m looking for dummy weights rn then I will bang it in the next hour…

Put something heavy inside and vibrate the fuck out of it for 4 hours, see if the bolt holes crack.

2 Likes

I’ll need some kind of machine :joy: any suggestions?

For dummy weight can I use sand?

Do abec screw on pulleys work on cloud wheels? Ik their core is different.

u probably want something hard and has a fixed shape, and can rattle inside the enclosure to test it’s durability

3 Likes

I was thinking that too. What if I tape the sand into small packets? I was initially going to use sets of screws and Allen keys etc but it’s going to be painful to arrange it all again

Get some beefy bolts. A 21700 cell is generally 70g, think how many you’ll have in there, then put 20% more weight in bolts, nuts, washers and test

2 Likes

Yes. I have weighed my batteries. I’d get some big bolts if stores were open… and if I had money. I’ll go to the park by my house and see how much sand will fit :joy: I will wrap it in tape into segments so they can shake around. I’ll mix in some bolts too. *Actually I have some big rocks around my house so they can shake around and I won’t have to tape sand together

This is okay? Keep in mind that the batteries won’t actually move - snug fit, while this stuff is very loose. This test is more extreme than the forces the enclosure will face.

5 Likes

now shake it
shake it

8 Likes

Good enough lol. Now, abuse

5 Likes

:yawning_face: it’s not even a challenge. I made this enclosure way too thick to be weak. It’s also completely solid which most people underestimate since consumer plastic products are usually hollow.

8 Likes

Take one bearing apart and remove all the stuffs except the outer race. (Look up how to take apart skate bearings) Put a dowel in there and beat the other bearing out. Put the first bearing back together. Turn it upside down, put a dowel in there, and beat the other bearing out.

4 Likes

I’m thinking next I can drop the plank from waist height repeatedly and have it land on the enclosure? I’d rather do that then bang it by hand onto the enclosure so that there is some objectivity and it can’t be said I’m not banging hard. This would be to simulate bottoming out?

2 Likes

tie a rope at the end of the plank, and drag it down some stairs while running a bit?

2 Likes

Great idea!

1 Like

if u don’t want to run, then u can get a long enough rope and sit at the bottom of the stairs, yeet the rope real hard, so the whole things basically just tumble down the stairs :joy:

3 Likes