Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

Anyone with boardnamics hangers, do you locktite/epoxy the axles in?

2 Likes

Tie the plank (with or without trucks + wheels) to the seatpost of your bike and cruise around your neighborhood for an hour.

Seal it up and throw it inside your dryer (with a few towels / bedsheets, dont destroy your dryer) and run it on the lowest temp cycle its got.

Take a reciprocating saw or a random orbital sander (with blades/attachments removed) and tape your enclosure to it so it vibrates the most aggressively. Put it in a cardboard box with some padding, plug it in, and leave it for an hour.

1 Like

I got them apart but the sidewalls to protect the bearings from the elements are no Bueno :call_me_hand:

Neighbors must of thought you were weird asf :joy:

2 Likes

It was only one minute! I’m hoping they didn’t look outside :joy: it was worse dragging the thing downstairs near my community centre. There were some people passing by watching me :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

It’s okay you where giving your imaginary dog a little outside run :rofl:

2 Likes

Pet rock(s) inside their outside clothes :wink::joy:

1 Like

its fine, smash it to the ground, bash it everywhere. people will just think u r crazy and nothing else, they will also leave quietly “just in case” :rofl:

don’t worry, no one is gonna question a crazy looking person, so u r safe

3 Likes

Maybe he’ll also find the love of his life like that! :flushed::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

She’ll just judge him to the max and be worried he’ll beat her up with a plank that has a small yellow box drilled to it :rofl: I went too far I know

2 Likes

i don’t know what’s more worrying when a girl approach a crazy looking dude beating his wood, or the fact that she finds a crazy looking person fascinating… :joy:

but hey, if that’s what it takes to find love, i will also do it

2 Likes

Here are three passes of me dragging it down these two sets of stairs. It broke on the third pass :cry: Overall, I’m happy with how it turned out. It cracked along the middle. The screw mounting parts at the ends are immovably stuck on - very strong.

This is a lot of bottoming out and all the weight was on one enclosure and the rocks on the inside were completely loose to shake around. In contrast, the battery is very snug so there won’t be room for it to flex and crack like this. There will also be the TPU riser in between that can absorb some of the force. Along the top and bottom of the battery there’ll be foam too to help with that. These results show that my enclosure is not indestructible, but that’s the case with any enclosure. This is not a jumping board and it will be designed to never bottom out. That’s one reason why people with jumping boards mount their battery on top. Also I ran out of yellow PETG filament and it’s sold out at the place I got it so I’ll be printing in yellow ABS which is significantly more malleable/flexible and will perform much better at bottoming out. ABS plastic tends not to crack like petg (and much worse PLA) but rather it deforms upon flexion/stress. Regardless, it won’t have room to flex because this enclosure fits my battery like a phone case - very snug.

@3s on the 3rd vid

7 Likes

at least now we know how durable it is / can be. can’t wait to see next iteration

4 Likes

Crazy person = more interesting for sure

There is a double meaning here :joy::fist_right::eggplant::sweat_drops:

3 Likes

yeah u know

4 Likes

You two are hilarious :joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

Do i need to threadlock my boardnamics axles on the bn220 hangers ?

I use epoxy, but at the minimum you need green or red threadlocker

2 Likes

Red thread locker will do then.

If the enclosure broke before the bolt holes cracked, it’s probably good :+1:

3 Likes

The bolt holes are the strongest part. It won’t break at all. The only reason it cracked along the middle is the extra room with the loose parts gave the PETG room to flex. There’s no extra room when I put the battery. PETG cracks, ABS does not. It’s good I’m switching to ABS. I’ll just have to be okay with a little warping. The bottom won’t be perfectly flat. Also since I’m spray painting it, the primer I will use is UV resistant. This will account for ABS not being UV resistant while PETG is. I did also use ABS for my hub motors on my last build. Very confident in it. I won’t have this problem. Watch till the end for a surprise :joy:

3 Likes