Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

Very important bit, up/down on keyboard controls current. Can be set at a low number, kinda ok, don’t stand on it though. Left/right controls duty cycle and will move your guts into a wall before you even realise what happened.

1 Like

I have a boosted remote on hand. The app registers it but I cant seem to pair it to my xenith. Doubt its compatible just trying stuff lol.

Soon I’m going to setup my very first vesc Spintend. As a tech savvy want to know as much as possible about the vesc tool software before hand, like maybe some good features, any quality of life things and just a general understanding of what are the most important parameters.
Somehow could not find an in depth thread here so if there is - please link it :grin: If not, maybe there should be one

1 Like

Also, when they keyboard controls don’t work, it’s because you need to set the “Control Mode” to “Off” in the application tab, and also turn on the keyboard icon on the right side.

Then the keyboard controls are at the bottom, the up and down keyboard arrows control the current according to the I number there. I wouldn’t use the left and right arrows which are based on D

2 Likes

Oh one last thing, imma order a puck remote, but I was wondering, since the xenith has an integrated Bluetooth module, I wouldn’t need the receiver, would i?

2 Likes

This was exactly my goal as well. I am very tech savvy (professionally even) and it looks like a complex piece of software. That said, there are really only a very few well-documented settings that you need to worry about initially and after those, you can just browse around and hover over the tool-tips (almost every setting has one) and get a good sense of what everything is. By the end of my first night playing with it I had successfully modified my throttle curve and the dead-band setting and got the esc performing exactly the way I wanted. About half of the functionality in there is for logging and measurement or developmental purposes.
Go play around a little, you’ll figure it out quickly.

2 Likes

Set duty cycle current limit start to 85% so you don’t die at top speed, set switching frequency in foc to 30khz if you can hear the ultra high pitch noise it otherwise makes at 25khz, set throttle curves, ramp up/down times to your liking in the section your remote is based on (uart is vesc remote, ppm/pwm is ppm remote), remember to apply motor/battery based settings to all sides manually over canbus, and always remember what you changed last if you experiment on things

4 Likes

You do need it. There are a few remotes that work with any bluetooth receiver but even those should not be left on the hands of a non-existent antenna.

To expand a bit, basically most receivers have the “bluetooth” part indeed but also an entire circuit that encrypts, decodes, whatever on the same board. In general for most remotes you can’t connect to the receiver with a phone and you can’t connect the remote to a generic bluetooth receiver

1 Like

The other thing I noticed was that after you unplug the esc, the software will still be there, running fine, with the last-read settings present, so if you are really nervous about accidentally clicking on something, you can disconnect the esc and browse through the software as much as you want with no chance of hurting anything. As long as you don’t try to write the motor or app settings you won’t get any errors (but you won’t get any real-time data either).

3 Likes

u need the puck receiver, its proprietary.

Also, while u r at it, get the nubbed version, u will thank me later :kissing_heart:

5 Likes

I already intended to get the nub hahahahha. Thanks guys. Oh random but I might have a chance to buy a set of flash airless wheels. They look awesome. Anyone have any experience with them?

2 Likes

Trypophobia :nauseated_face:

2 Likes

BE NOT AFRAID

but fr I pre-ordered surf nachos sweet ass hubs already and these seem like a nice option for some light offroading for now.

those wheels won’t help at all, ur best bet is probably the 115mm rubber wheels that onsra is selling (still don’t know who makes them). but the onsra doesn’t have true kegel core, its off by very little, so some pressfit pulley will have a hard time getting in

1 Like

Hmm. I actually thought these looked better than onsras. I like the flat contact patch lol. And by light offloading I just mean being able to cut through the damn grass xDDD mind you im riding a deckswapped boosted mini til this builds done.

1 Like

u can try it out with flash airless, but u probably want more grip over grass, onsra one does a pretty good job on grip i must say

1 Like

They’re all kinda smooth threaded after all. When they break traction and chew up some grass they’re stuck lol.
Good for light trails though

1 Like

yea, the trends on onsra isn’t that deep, but adequate for grass or light gravel, not for offroading tho

1 Like

Ayoooo turns out dudes local so I dont have to pay shipping, you KNOW I’m getting em now.

@BenjaminF Yo Mr Duck.

Can you check on your Xt90e for me? I got a set myself and noticed that the xt90s won’t fully insert. The regular female xt90 does. Do you have the same?

4 Likes