Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

Ah. The remote would turn off in the vesc to compensate the ERPM before allowing the remote to work again. This is where you will lose braking/speeding.

That doesn’t seem to be the case however? I have full brakes at least when my speed goes over the expected limit of the motor (~67k eRPM), since it’s still well under the max eRPM limit of the VESC itself (150k).

This explains itself.

It doesn’t explain what would happen if you accelerate when you’re over though. All I know is it wouldn’t shut off, but idk if it slows down or not when you accelerate, or if other weird things happen.

Your motors will just run hotter. It doesn’t really affect the vesc, save for the MOFSET heating up. Your motors ERPM doesn’t affect the vesc until it goes over the 150k.

But how does it even run? I’m not too familiar with how phases work, but wouldn’t it then mean the phases are switching faster than 100% duty cycle to maintain that speed? There’s no field weakening going on, so how would it even work?

I heard it’s only using 95% duty cycle since the other 5 is for something else. A vesc is still something I’m still learning about so you got me.

All I know is your motors ERPM will only affect the vesc when it passes the erpm limit of that vesc. Like for example:

Passing 60k on vesc 4 means you’re losing brakes and controls. If you set a vesc limit and not a duty cycle limit, it’s gonna be worst. That’s called a “turn my controller off” limit.

For everything else, I believe others knows more about this than me.

Passing 60K on a base vesc4 means you’ve probably blown the DRV chip.

2 Likes

I put my AT wheels on and I’m really liking it.
One small issue tho is when I let off the throttle there’s a lot of drag - so much that if I don’t brace myself I feel like I might go over.
I’m getting used to trying to feather off the throttle instead of letting go but I find it hard - I find the throttle on the VX1/VESC twitchier than than my Boosted was even with street wheels.
Is there is a VESC setting that will let the board ramp down over say 500ms when I let off the throttle instead of cutting power instantly?

2 Likes

I am considering just buying cloudwheels and call it a day.

This is the trails where I live.

I think I will be happy with the cloudwheels here.

Cloudwheens are not all terrain wheels. If you go on gravel, you won’t have grip.

2 Likes

Duty cycle and ERPM limit are 2 difrebt things

Take duty cycle is related Pulse with modulation of the power going to the motor

ERPM limit is to do with the brain working things out and when it can’t keep up and falls over it self

2 Likes

This looks like the paths I’m planning on riding.

1 Like

There’s pros and cons no Cloud wheels it’s a case of you making up you own mined to what worth compromising on in your opinion

I say there closer to a wet tire than a off-roading tyre. Work better than a thane tire but not as good as a AT Tire/inertube

That was my thoughts exactly. I think it’s the best route for me to decide if I need a mountainboard later on.

It will be uncomfortable and one large pebble and you’re gonna be on the ground rolling. I’d look at getting pneumatics.

I was planning on doing that but it seems that I need to change the entire trucks and motor mounts at least. I don’t know if it’s worth the money and the effort.

2 Likes

I dont know where you’re from as its not filled out in your bio, but a hospital bill costs more than a better drivetrain. If you’re experienced and have dual motors you could be fine with cloud wheels, but I wouldn’t recommend it.

1 Like

Lol :joy: Hospitals are free in Sweden :sunglasses:

2 Likes

You should put that in your bio then :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like