Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

Only if you have Metr CAN, I use regular Metr pro in one of the UART ports

2 Likes

Can somebody tell me what the free port on dual hub motor yingli esc is about?
Opened a Lycaon GR up for a friend for a deck swap as this empty slot caught my attention.

CANBUS for conneting 2 esc together, it also has control for lights and pulse signal for other use

2 Likes

haha my knight…cool…thank you…Yes now after you told me it fell back to my mind

1 Like

Greetings again…I’m so, so close. Actually, everything works, technically. I had a prob with remote not working after binding but I figured that out. Changed “none” to ppm on both sides and magic.
What I am noticing now is that, if I squeeze the trigger very, very gently one wheel will begin turning much more readily than the other. If I am careful I can’t get the wheel that does turn to ramp up pretty fast before the other one kicks in. If I squeeze the trigger pretty hard right from the start they both take off at once. The only change I have made so far is from FOC to BLDC, and that seemed to help a little but I can still make it happen starting out in low speeds.
Is this something that is a problem only on the bench? Ie - under load it won’t do this?
Or is there a tolerance adjustment somewhere in the VESC tool that I need to adjust?
These are sensorless motors if that matters.

1 Like

I’ve seen this before. If there’s a load on it, this behavior most likely won’t persist. also it being sensorless could contribute to this.

I’ll have to see if I can feel a difference when riding. The more I observe it, the more I am convinced that even at speed the one wheel is slower than the other, by more than it really should be.

Sensorless motors are kick push motors. You have to give it momentum in order for it to go if you’re planning on riding with those. I use sensored motors just to start from standstill. I love it.

Oh, if you are setting the motors, make sure that the CAN side is also adjusted accordingly to the side you have on the USB plugged in. The best way to do it is to just switch the USB wire to the other side and adjust it.

But I use the app. Also, that’s normal if one goes before the other. I’ve had this happened to me as well.

Edited for video since I forgot I had it:

Unfortunately yes, this is usually why. It happens on my sensorless motors too.

2 Likes

No two motors are exactly the same in terms of their mechanical and electrical characteristics.
Same with the mounts/belts/gears/bearings/whatever drivetrain components you have downstream of the motors. One side will almost always have more resistance or slower speed than the other side, just due to that variability.

That kind of thing is usually most noticeable at no load and part throttle (like upside down on the bench), and not noticeable at all under real-world use.

If the difference is very significant (like, more than maybe ~10% RPM at full throttle), then you may have some other configuration issue like not having your deadzones or duty cycle limits set the same for both sides/escs, or having a miswound motor.

3 Likes

:slightly_smiling_face: doesnt matter if bldc or foc, dooood…ON THE BENCH the motors ALWAYS running “unbalanced” or “asymetrical if observed”. You got to beware of traction control settings. Traction control will support more “unbalanced” behaviour on the bench and in RL :slightly_smiling_face: :hugs:

2 Likes

This will vanish as soon as you stand on it. This is normal.

You can tune the PWM (“PPM”) pulse settings to ameliorate it, but it’s hard to eliminate it completely, and it’s also not really an issue at all. As soon as you turn the board over and set it on the ground, the issue is gone.

In fact, I would describe the fix for this problem as “set the board on the wheels”

3 Likes

And so it is. Everyone is right. Rides fine. Thanks again gang…finish line at last. Heading to the beach.

6 Likes

Do people riding eMTBs not notice the giant box between their legs?

Serious q - I feel like if I was snowboarding with a 15 lb brick between my legs it would screw up my balance.

1 Like

I have just about the largest box I could possibly put on my eMTB without it touching my ankles

But because it doesn’t touch my ankles, I literally never notice it.

The only times I notice it are when I am looking at it, or when I forget it’s there when stepping off the board, and trip over it like a fucking doofus :joy:

7 Likes

I only notice my big balls swinging around from my illegal activity.

9 Likes

real talk, this is the concern.

then there’s also this.

2 Likes

Are any of the Haero / Trampa / MBS decks flexy enough to pull butter style tricks aka wheelie with all the added baggage of esk8?
or is that asking for trouble

You get used to it really quick. It’s seriously awesome. I can just pop open my enclosure whenever I want.

I had an issue on one of my first rides, my motors were being spooky on hills. Pulled over, popped open the box, my sensor wires were vibrating loose. Plugged them back in, and hot glued them when I got home. Quickest fix I have ever had.

2 Likes

this is such a show off feature that’s also super useful

3 Likes