Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

1 Like

Perfect, thanks. This is ppm right? I was searching terms like ppm wiring, receiver connection, etc,

1 Like

I still have no idea what this thing is though

Pwm…that’s the acronym. Ugh

1 Like

For remotes, it’s PPM, but for some reason makerx decided to call it pwm from what I understand.

1 Like

I’m assuming I find the cable with the correct number of pins and then…buy a similar end to attach to the bare wires at the other end?

1 Like

They’re slightly different modulation methods, both are used in the RC Hobby industry so they often get lumped together/used interchangeably.

3 Likes

It’s actually PWM but it’s called PPM in the software.

1 Like

Yeah I just googled it to sanity check myself. I only recently bumped into PPM, as PC hardware fans use PWM and that’s what im familiar with

2 Likes

Yep, PWM in it’s most basic form uses digital modulation to create a variable voltage output (basically duty cycle on vs off time). Simple fans and motors are often speed controlled like this.

In hobby RC receiver world it’s used a bit differently as a more precise digital control signal, with a high signal usually ranging from 500uS to 2500uS, followed by a steady 20mS low signal.

Looks like there is more than one 3-pin cable in there so I can pilfer one…

Scratch that…it’s a different connector…like the one the bind key uses…I think I have some of those somewhere.

If you need one, I have bags of them

The one you’re looking for is a red white and black jst wires. It came with the DV6.

That’s the CANBUS for an 4WD.

oh thats pretty cool. Also can you hook up an unrelated CAN device like a metr?

That one I think @ShutterShock knows. He has a Metr.

Yep, found that one. I think I can salvage the other end I need from an old pc, those were commonly used for audio and some of the mobo connections. I’ll look for a video that shows how to remove/attach the wires, should be solder-free.

It is solder free. It’s a crimp style connector.

Or do this:

1 Like